1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western or curtis plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Aug 11, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

i want to remove my slow operating 8' diamond plow and replace it with a curtis or western ultramount.basically im looking for a faster hook up and faster operation.it will be going on a 1995 chevy k2500 4wd.any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Both Western and Curtis are very good plows. Western are more popular than Curtis, but not as popular as Fisher here in the Northeast. Do a search on both brands. Try to visit each of their website. You have a good truck to plow with. Good luck.

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Can't tell ya much about Curtis, but My experience with Western has always been a pleasure. Good plow for the money also there are many other good plows available. Check out the local dealer in your area and compare or you could just update your pump assembly instead of getting a new unit. BTW heard on here that those ultra mounts have a tendency to come unhooked .

4. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

tough choice

Well this is a topic of choice here i think curtis is coming up the ranks to be a good plow, however its kinda funny there prices are not cheap i was at the county fair last night and was really suprised to get the prices on curtis example a curtis 8.5v was 4800.00 installed a western 8.5 mvp about 4200.00 i think without a doubt go with western i own enough to tell you they are a good plow and hold up well, the curtis guy last night just didnt seem to beale to answer my questions well enough to make me ever feel comfortable about owning one. always remember its service after the sale that is to me most important.

5. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Re: tough choice

Very true and another turn off is when the Curtis dealer tries real hard to sell me the plow off of his truck instead of a new one. Sounds like he needed an excuse to unload the old so he could install a new one on his truck!!:mad: The dumb dork couldn't even get me the correct tonneau cover for my year and model of truck as it is and he thinks I would trust him with a plow install?

6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Western, all the way.
    We've never had a problem with our Ultra Mounts or the MVP's...

7. soilmover

soilmover Member

Western all the way here also. The only two problems we have had with Western are : 1 . the bolts come loose on our V blades at the cutting edge. 2 . The packing from a piston can loosen up and clog the pump filter.

We own 9 Westerns and plan to buy more.It also helps that our Western Dealer is only 5 blocks from our shop.

8. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

why is a curtis so expensive?they look really well constructed and i like that they dont fully trip like a western.the lights and the controller seem cheesy and not operator friendly like the western cab command controller.can you tighten up the springs on a wstern so it doesnt fully trip?how much of the ultramounts coming disconnected is really true?does $3,300 plus tax sound like a good price for an 8' ultramount pro installed?thanks for any suggestions.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Some of the early Ultramounts had disconnection problems,but I haven't heard much more about it,so I guess it has been rectified.You can adjust the trip springs up some,but you still want it to trip when needed.If it's setup right,it will still scrape,even when partially tripped,so you don't lose the snow on the blade.

10. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I had a Western 7½ Pro, and now I run a Curtis 7½, both straight blades.

I would not hesitate to use either of them again. The Curtis straight blade compared to the Western straight blade is very similar in construction. It seems to me that the main "beam" behind the mold board on a Curtis is a bit longer, but other than that they are basically the same. As most others already mentioned, I would go with whichever dealer will give you better service at 2 AM in the middle of a snow storm !

As far as the controller, I have the door mounted joystick for my Curtis and have not had any problems with it. It was a bit of an adjustment coming from the Western joystick that I had mounted in the middle of the cab. Not only did I have to get used to using the other hand, but forward on the Western raised the plow while forward on the Curtis lowers it !!

If you have any questions I can help you with,, let me know.

I think you'll be happy with either one, good luck

11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Countryboy..........Hannibal NY here !

Western all the way !.................
    In 01 I had a 7.6 ultra straight blade with that
    sweet trick hand held controller, with bedliner,
    and door sill sheilds...
    All Installed for $2800 cash.............
    Western V was like $1000 more!
    Fisher straight blade was $800 more !
    At a Western shop in Baldwinsville NY. Will
    post name and phone if you need it !

NEVER a problem with my ultra coming
    unhooked and you KNOW we get clobbered
    with white gold here !

Now Got Grass aka Mike...has had a few problems
    with his V-uni-mount coming unhooked from the
    pins working themselves out ! Hes got a nice BASH
    on the nose of his 01 !

Buy NOW.....cause shortly the prices will be going UP!
    .............geo

Last edited: Aug 15, 2003