1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western or boss?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lil'PlowinMan93, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Lil'PlowinMan93

Lil'PlowinMan93 Senior Member

Im in the market for a 1/2 ton GM 4x4 reg cab short bed. BUT... im also needing a plow for it once i find one. Would you go with Western or Boss and why? I do mostly residential but some commercial. Any photos of 1/2 tons would help too. Thanks - Joe -

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

BOSS!! Had my V for 11 yrs. Have never had anything fixed on it. Nough said.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol..............Boss, it's the best!!!! Imagine that.

Best advise is buy a bigger name brand, which you already figured that out, and see what's local to your area. Customer service and replacement parts/consumables is a big factor in purchasing a new plow. I prefer Westerns. It's just what I like and what we use. They are proven, time tested, and never give me problems. I also like Boss. I've owned them all. One thing I didn't like about Boss V's is NO trip edge, never liked the 8'2 vs 8'6, and NO deflector from the factory. I always did like Boss' mounting and pump speed, but Westerns are pretty much the same these days. For a std duty plow, Boss has always been nice and HD, where Westerns were a little lacking in mold board strength IMHO. The new Mid weights look decent though.

Pretty much, and to be as unbiased as possible, buy what suits you best, and buy what you like. Compare prices and see. Either way, you'll be satisfied.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here is my show truck, truck has the easiest life ever.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

How it actually looks most of the time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit. I run a western but have used boss before. I'd make my decision based on dealer support and dealer character. Sure, you may have a boss dealer close but if they are a huge pita to deal with and you had a western dealer a bit farther away but they would go out of their way to make your life better. Then I'd go with western or vice versa.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

My vote is Boss since I have used western it ok but they do wear out fast on mount.

Boss is more fast but Western do job fine.

Boss it easy to hook. Western lot stuff to hook.

For me I just find good deal on plows.

7. Lil'PlowinMan93

Thanks guys. Anyone else?

8. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I have not personally used a Western, but I have used many other brands of plows and my Boss plow has been by far the best.

I think you will find that dealer support and quality are comparable, but here are a couple of things I have noticed about my Boss that seems to be better than most other brands 1) Fast Hydraulic Operation 2) Mounting System is sleeker and easy to use(some of the Western mounts are rediculous)

You'd probably be happy with either plow, but I'll put a vote in for Boss. Good Luck!

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You guys with Western mounting, man! Unimounts aren't even a big deal for 1.....literally take like a minute of your time. But for crying out loud, Ultramount came out 7 years ago. That takes all of about 10 seconds!

10. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Not just ease of use, but the amount of bulky crap hanging from your truck. I'm not saying Western is a bad plow, there are just a few little things that I like better about Boss.

11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I like my westerns. If someones going to say boss is better, thats because they own a boss. theres no way a boss is "better". They both have pros and cons. come to chicago and you will see 90% western plows.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I can hook my unimount up in under a minute. So as far as having to much crap hanging off the truck or to many pins to put in it's no big deal.
    And I don't think westerns have any more stuff hanging off the truck then boss, meyer, blizzard, etc. There will always be something under the bumper to hook the plow to. Saying the mount is to much is like saying you enjoy towing but hate having a hitch under your rear bumper.

x2. Westerns are very popular around here. Boss is around but slowly gaining but not fast.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Never heard any complaints from the guys I know that run new Westerns but I can say for sure the mount on the truck with the blade off is much more compact on the Boss. We take our blades off after every snow and it's hard not to love Boss's hitch system. Never personally mounted a Western so can't comment but have not heard any complaints. We have a fantastic Boss dealer 10 min from our shop so we will run Boss as long as they countinue selling them.

14. ultimate plow

from N. IL

as far as the moutning, the ultramount is literally 20 seconds. Takes longer to plug in than mount up. when the plows off, you can take the plow recievers on the truckside off and you can barely tell theres a plow on the truck.

15. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

So are you saying that no product(food, cars, plows, etc.) brand is better than another? And I believe the original poster was asking for peoples opinions anyway. Sorry if you don't like my opinion.

As for the comments on the mounting. Since you are comparing it to a trailer hitch, I will give you my take: The Boss RT3 is like having a normal under bumper Class III hitch. The Western Ultra mount is like having a Class III hitch that is twice the thickness and sticking out an addition 6 inches. Yeah, I know you can take it apart with pins, blah, blah, but that is my whole point...none of that is on the RT3, its all contained plow side.

Also, I NEVER SAID WESTERN IS A BAD PLOW!!!

16. ultimate plow

from N. IL

LOL. I didnt say anything about hitches. And the boss plow isnt any better than a western as I mentioned. Like I said they both have pros and cons.

17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western ultra mount

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I said something about comparing it to a reciever hitch. Smoore45 said that westerns have to much stuff hanging off the truck compared to a boss rt3 mount. So I said worrying about having a plow mount under the front of your truck being to bulky or hard to look at is like having a reciever hitch under your bumper that you use all the time and it makes you money but you hate it being there. I figured that since they are both a form of hitch and are in roughtly the same spot at opposite ends of the vehicle it would be a resonable comparison.

Basically I think if your picking a plow by the way the mount looks on the truck or how far it sticks down you really need better things to worry about. I realize the ultramount can become basically flat and costs you nearly no ground clearance, but I don't think many of us offroad our trucks enough to really have to worry about getting hung up on a plow mount all the time.

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The truth hurts:cry: Imagine THAT "Smart A$$"

20. Lil'PlowinMan93

Damn mark i want your truck! How many miles on her?