1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western or Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by karol, Jul 27, 2007.

1. karol

karol Senior Member

I'm buying a new plow this year and I've narrowed it down to Western pro-plus 8' or Boss sd 8'2. I need some advice from the guys that used these plows before. Which one is better for small commercial and residential accounts. Lots of backdragging. HELP !!!

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Karol, I like the Western Plow. I have used only Western, and my next truck will have one as well. You could actually get away with using the pro plow. It will be fine for small commercial lots. The Western Pro + is heavy duty. I know people that have them and love them. You cant kill them. Out of the 2 you narrowed down i would go with the Pro +. You cant get a backdrag edge for it too. Or you can make one that is on a hinge. Look up Grn Mtn he has a nice one. Good luck Rich

3. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

go with the western for sure!!! They can adapt better to uneven ground since when they are down, they are free. Unlike boss when they only go down as far as the hydrolics go. Plus with breakdowns, all you have to do push it up into a snowbank, and shortchain it. With the boss, you basically have to fix it in the field cause there is no way of getting it back up. Also boss has those funky electronic mounting systems that is just another thing to go wrong.

Hopefully the 08-09 winter I'll have myself with a new rig with a western wideout...... western just kicks ass!!!

Good luck!!!

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Boss....ease of hook-up, design, paint quality, etc. You would be very happy with a Boss!:)

5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Karol.........I went through this same decision as you. I did months and months of research and spending a ton of time on this site.

I had plowed with Western when I worked for a company and it always seemed like a PITA to get the plows on and that was with 2 or more guys helping.

Now that I work alone, fast and easy attachment is a big deal to me. I went with an 8' Boss SD Poly and have not regretted it one bit. Boss seems built to last. As with any piece of equipment, as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you.

I suggest you go to the boss website and see the video on a side by side comparison with the western.

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Karol, the question your asking is like asking should I buy a Ford or a Chevy LOL. Every one has there own opinion, but you know what they say about opinions !

As far as mounting they all claim there the best. The Ultra mount when set up properly is as simple and fool proof as you can get. It works great.No gimmicks to break, and when striped down off season this plow mount is barely noticeable. If you off road at all goe with the western ultra. I wouldn't base my purchase on this alone though, I own a Blizzard 810 it hooks up fine too. Not as slick as a Boss smart hitch or the Ultra mount but the Blizzard moves snow quickly, I am okay with spending 1 extra minute to save (No BS) hours on my route. My Western Unimount sucks, it stays on that truck all winter. Its a Winter service truck only, so its fine that way.
    The Boss Straight or Western plows (stay away from the wideout) are all good stuff.
    Your splitting hairs here comparing these 2 straight blades.
    If I was in your shoes I would be looking at Dealer support, as in what hours do you have for storms. How close are they to your route. What parts do they stock etc. If you cant fix your own stuff then dealer support is huge. The guy with no parts or crappy hours wont cut it when your controller takes a crap 2 hours into a storm.
    I have NO dealer Blizzard support here In IL so I drove 500 miles to Jerres for my plow.
    Also look at price and options. Boss is famous for charging extra for standard stuff on other brands.
    When I was shopping wee blades apples to apples the Boss V was 1500 more then Western v I purchased.

Either plow would be a smart purchase.
    Good luck

7. karol

karol Senior Member

Boss or Western

Thanks guy's. It seems like there both good plows and have there advantages although when I got on the Boss plow forum they seemed to have a lot more problem questions than the Western plow forum.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would buy a Western Pro Plus and buy the sides for it. Great for commercial and you can take the sides off or leave them on for residential.

9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Western definitly. Very good plow!!!! Its a product your buying and you know what your getting, Quality!

10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

BOSS plows rock!!!

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would go with the boss plow. I have used a straight blade for 2 years and then I went to a vee blade. I would buy a vee. They are more versatile and you can get things done alot quicker with them. The mounting of all boss plows it very easy to use also. You just plug the 2 plugs in and then set the lock pin leavers to the "on" postion and hit the switch. The plow will lock itself onto the truck. No more with looking to see which plug matchs up with which. Plus all boss plows have a optional sight system to make sure you drive right on every time you go to mount the plow to your truck. The decision is yours to make. We can sit here all day and tell you which plow is better but in the end you are going to be the only one using it.

12. T-MAN

So if every one here feels saving a precious 1 minute to install there "Favorite" brand of plow, why wouldn't you all buy a Blizzard power plow and shave hours off your route ???? All the newer mounts now work fine. Some might be slightly easier but not to the point of choosing the plow based on one plug or two ???
    The Boss V, and Western V scrape like crap, something to seriously consider if you get hard pack, or salt your lots to black and wet. A straight with wings scrapes, and cleans up quicker too. V-Blades work awesome if you live in the Rockies and get 3' drifts, or you wait for the city trucks to plow in all your lots. Other then "breaking trail" a V blade really doesn't excel at much. They don't windrow as well as a straight and certain brands have been known not to trip and do major damage to a truck frame. Stick with what your looking at Karol, plus running with a straight you learn to really plow snow too. If you need more production both Boss and Western make wings to help boost production.

13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the western. Almost everyone around here are switching to western. Most of our subs have westerns. If you want your plow to work everytime you need it, then get a western.

14. Quality SR

What is wrong with the Unimount? I am looking to buy a truck with one installed on it. Thanks Rich

15. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

in my opinion,
    they are both excellent plows. The western, i think is a little easier to understand, as far as schematics, and maintenance. The boss has more electrical parts to fail. As previously stated, if the Boss breaks, you need to repair onsite. The Western, you can rechain, and go to the shop.
    I like them both, But I like my Western better.

JMO

16. T-MAN

Nothing is wrong with the setup. There are lots of holes and pins to line up. Keep a floor jack handy and they only take 4 minutes to hang.
    If you dont have a floor jack handy they can be a nightmare to get everything lined up. Thats usually were the horror storys come from. I crushed my hand when the headgear fell forward on me with my old western v, I was arm wrestling the plow to get it on for an April storm many moons ago. The slickest setup is to have a plow dolly for the Uni, keep it in the same spot, same ballast in the truck and they can line right up.

17. Quality SR

So what your saying is it is going to be like my last plow? :dizzy: At least the last plow the head gear stayed on the truck. As far as the dolly goes i am going to make one. Thanks for the info T. Rich

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Maybe their are more BossOwners than Western owners?

Someone mentioned that their are more electrical parts on a BOSS???

REALLY? Like for what for instance?

The above are all Happy Boss owners.:drinkup:

Some one mentioned that you can not short-chain a Boss.
    I have never had to in the 9yrs I have owned my boss V blade.
    If you had to just use your tow chain to hold it up.
    Is this really a selling point? Hey, you can short -chain it! lol

Next, for a Boss not to scrape as well as a western.
    Bull. thats right, bull..
    1. The boss V is mush heaver than a western almost as heavy as a blizzard.
    This allows it to scrape packed snow just fine,
    2, The new edges are heaver and do not leave a trail in the center any more.
    Thats if you were so anal to worry about a 2inch by 1inch trail....

The post I liked the most was the one telling you to not get a V blade. Because you should learn to plow with a straight blade first.:dizzy:

In my opinion get a Boss or a blizzard and leave that straight
    blade back in the 20th century.
    If you want to be more productive that is.
    With a V plow or a plow with wings you can control where the snow goes much better than any straight plow can...

19. T-MAN

Wow that only took what 25 years to get it right :dizzy:

So the Boss v plows are heavier then Western ? Allmost as heavy as a Blizzard LOL What are you comparing the 10' V ? Oh and the Western v's are heavier then Boss.

So learning to plow snow with a straight is bad, Why ? Learning with a straight will teach you how to "Plow" a site quickly and efficiently. You learn not to leave a mess, so when you do touch up the lot it doesnt take all day. You learn not to depend on some 6'6" wide scoop to clean up your mess.

What was the topic here ? The question asked was what STRAIGHT blade to buy correct ?

I wonder why ALL the manufacturers still even make straight blades ? I wonder why all municple plows are not v blades ? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007