1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western or Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Weenuk, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Which company makes a better V Blade and why??????

2. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

If you look at the options and safety factory, Weston is superior. Western have the chain lift system which enable one to pile snow higher. Overall from comparing the two brands, Western seems better in almost every way. Why do people purchase a Boss????

3. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

A lot of people purchase BOSS because of their customer service IMO. It is second to none, and always helps me when I need something fast, although....so does fisher....It could just be that BOSS is the closest dealer in their location as well.

4. mdpsci1

mdpsci1 Junior Member

Customer service is huge in any industry and no different here, when your plow breaks you want it fixed right and fast.

Boss is a good value in a plow, but I would pick Western as a better plow. Very heavy duty, made for the pro's. Also the trip edge is a good safety feature for the driver and the equipment, if you want to see it in action go to Western's website, videos and click on the V Plow Comparison crash test Video, heads up Boss vs Western

5. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

mdpsci1

Thanx, did look at the Western website. Cant believe how much better the Western is compared to Boss. Reason why I am wondering why people purchase the Boss??

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

You can't always believe what your eyes see.

Especially when the competition made the video.

7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Seams that you have already made up your mine without any input yet!!! Go an look at the other forums on here there is one for about every blade out there!! Do some reading an then compare. Talk to other contractors in your area ask them what they think of their plows! And I have yet to see a western stack higher then my boss!! Two I have 4 subs that have had nothing but issues with their brand new western V’s anywhere from bad gaskets on the reservoir, bad mount welds & towers braking, the few issues I don’t like about my boss is the power connecters after time loosen up and don’t make a good connection, and why oh why they haven’t just gone away with the single valve cylinders for the wings. But oh no no you have to buy their smart locks is you back drag a lot.

8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

when i purchased my MVP plus. i looked at fisher, western and boss.

fisher and western are almost identicle. the boss is a totally different system than the other 2.

first off the dealer support is huge. ive used all three issue was distance for me
    western is 20 min from my house
    boss is 35 min
    fisher is 30.

western won. all three have great dealer support from past experiences.

then came down to what i wanted. i heard nothing but good thing about the boss operating and also the trip mech. as for stacking its not a huge issue as a boss plow with direct lift can stack just as high as a western or fisher. my big thing was i leaned toward the trip edge design which boss V doesnt have. also i prefered the controller of the fisher and western

next was price. and western killed it. i got my western for 5600 installed including the removal or my old unimount.

fisher was 5800 installed plus 150 to remove the old

boss was 6250 installed plus 450 to remove the old unimount. total of 6700
    overall the boss was going to be 1100 more than the western and at that point it could have been plated in 24 karat gold i still would have got the western.

so you need to look at

distance from your Area of operation
    dealer support
    what you want
    and price

overall i love my western MVP plus and absolutly would not hesitate to purchase another one or a whole fleet for that matter.

9. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I guess the mods didn't like my remarks.
    But honestly, I love my westerns and wouldn't go any other way.

10. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Boss vs Western

I own an MVP and its had its issues. Western's overall design is superior but they're quality sucks. I've bent two light towers and almost my 3rd. I beefed it up with some tubular stock welded to the base. I also had welded parts randomly break off at the joint. Little or no penetration into the joint, I could still see the root of the weld. The idiots at Truck Equipment put a new pump in it during one storm, and forgot to tigthen the bolts.......found them in the bottom of the oil tank along with some fresh new ice chunks from water seeping in. Thanks Truck Equipment.

If they would take quality more seriously, they would be the best choice. The trip edge on a vee is a must have. You are relying on pressure relief valves to keep from bending the snot out of your plow frame with a full trip moldboard. And no having to spend the extra bucks to get the smart locks.

11. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

I bought a Western MVP and returned it. I didn't like that the hinge pin was not greasable, didn't like the wing skins were so thin and didn't fasten in at the bottom. The slide into a fab'd slot which is just half ass in my opinion. Weld splatter every where too. I couldn't hardly wait to get my $$$ back. Plus, look at the cutting ede, 1st it's only 3/8 plus you have to buy curbs guards. The boss vxt is 1/2" with curb guards. Over all the Boss is a much better plow, i believe it's more robust, i love that it balances it's self, and it's really easy to work on and use. Don't pay your dealer to install, do it yourself, in the long run you will be glad you did.

Boss all the way.

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

EXACTLY,and owning and operating all the major brands being in biz for 37 years,I'll take my Boss over any of them.The last 10 years with my 9-2er V have been all trouble-free and will push,stack,open up almost solid snow berms, and back drag equally as well or better than anything else,apples to apples. And all made in the USA.

13. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Thank you all who replied your useful inside. This should help in making a more educated decision....

14. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I watched that video and I couldn't believe why western would A. think there plow is quicker B. the slow mo movie showing western's plow jiggle like jello and the truck too. Boss plow didn't flex or the truck. I've hit hided object with straight or V same effect. So I don't really see how that plow is better. Boss knows they let western to do the comparison still knowing that western would have to set the tests to show western as a winner. The cycle test only shows that westerns truck could have been running were as Boss truck could have been on but not running. The controller with Boss V is just as simple. This could go on and on. We only run Boss and love them.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The lift system has absolutely nothing to do with how high you can stack snow.....

16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:popcorn:.....Here we go again......:laughing:

17. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

So.....If i add a Couple of more Links to the chain on my Lift....I will be able to Stack Even Higher....:eek:....Thumbs Up

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget better scraping...

19. big_stroker

big_stroker Senior Member

20. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Hahaha that video, buy a boss. I've used them both and will never go back to a western v. Maybe a wide out next season, or another 9'2" vxt.