1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western or boss v

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CENLO, Sep 15, 2004.

1. CENLO

CENLO Member

I Have A 2004 F350 Diesel Supercrew And Want To Add A 9'-6" Western Mvp Or The 9'-2" Boss V Plow. I Know About The Weight Problem! I Figure If The 8' Western Pro Plow Can Be Mounted Safely On My 2002 F150 7700# Then A F350 Superduty Should Hold 200#'s More On The Front End! My Question Is Which Plow Should I Buy? (i Currently Have A 7'-6" And A 8' Western Pro Plows) Thanks, Don
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Western or fisher IMO. The fishstic is a bit of a PITA to use compared to the boss although it is beeter than before and the boss is a bit faster than the fisher/western but the fisher/western have trip edges as apposed to a full trip like boss. IMO a full trip on a V blade is crap
  3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

How about you try a BLIZZARD 810?? You''l be able to move and control more snow than those vee's. Plus, that truck will handle it just fine.

Just the 2 pennies.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I am going to answer this the same way I always do.

I have had nothing but success with my 9'-2" Boss Power V plow. Its been alive and kickin' since '97 with next to no problems. Ratlover and I have discussed the trip in other threads, and I don't agree with him that the full trip the Boss plow uses is crap. (Again, my opinion only) The way I look at it, if it trips you've probably done something wrong anyways!!! :D

That aside, my opinion is to pick the brand with the closest supporting dealer to you... they all will make a quality product, some have inherant traits one way or another that will suit preferences... but what you really want is parts/service availability when/if you need it. Nothing worse than chasing people while the white stuff is flyin' and you need to travel an hour to get a new hose.

That's how I would choose a brand. My local dealer handles Boss and Western (they just so happen to be the two brands I own!!! :p) About 20 mins away is a Western and Meyers dealer..... Therefore, I would make Western my second choice after Boss since I have two dealers to pick from if I bought a new blade... etc.

I'll shut up now....
  5. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I agree with derekbroerse, I have a Boss poly 9'2" power V. It is on its 4th or 5th season with absolutly no problems. I am stuck with dealers being 80 to 120 miles away nomatter what brand I have. I am very pleased with the boss and its performance. It will trip alittle hard sometimes but it has never broke, cracked, or failed in any other way. Actouly the trip isn't hard, its when the plow returns from the trip that is alittle shaky.
  6. ratlover

from IL

Definatly agree on picking a dealer. :nod:

We seem to have the same standard answers when someone asks about a boss V.lol I say the full trip sucks and you say although its return can be a bit hash its not bad IYO. Good to have different views though.

Maybe its my plowing style and the types of accounts I service? The fact boss uses a full trip doesnt rear its head in every storm or all the time, just and average of one or 2 explative filled episodeds a season.

If it trips I'm doing something wrong eh? I do tend to blast my fair share of stuff and genrally do it trucking pretty good, I need something that will trip consistently and do so in a fairly "soft" manner everytime.

Even though the boss has had quite a bit of abuse(some of it coming from its tripping) and it has held up well short of taking out the center hoofs occasionaly.

I think a boss v would work better for other people though and I can see that but for what I plow and how i plow it a full trip V sucks the big one.

Blizzard really has my eye though.
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i personally like the western v 8.5
  8. CENLO

CENLO Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I just arranged to have the 9'6" western v installed on my truck. I will post some picks once installed! btw we plow an average of 30 times per season here, we price on a per time basis and invoice monthly. Average drive cost is $30.00 and the average commercial lot (like a fast food place) would be $65.00 . Pray for snow :drinkup:
  9. ratlover

from IL

Order a set of edges for it. The factory wearable trip edge dosnt last very long. And make sure you dont wear into the spring perches. And make sure you get this years fishstick. If it has the mode button dont buy it.
  10. CENLO

CENLO Member

Hey Ratlover, will the factory edge last a season? Also, could you explain "fishstick" and "mode button? Thanks :confused:
  11. GLLLC

GLLLC Member
    from CT

Go with the western you will love it.
  12. CENLO

CENLO Member

GLLLC, do you run a western v 9'6"?
  13. ratlover

from IL

The controller for the fisher and western vees(called a fishstic) recently got redesigned, there was nothing wrong with em before its just that last year they were a bit more of a PITA to use with the dreaded "mode button" if it has just the little directional square deal for angling raisng the blade and then a power button and a "mode" button then tell em you want the new modle. You can look at fishers or westerns site to see a pick of the new controller. Unless you like the mode button.....I'll trade ya and give you a bit of cash. IMO the mode button is the devil though lol :angry:

IIRC I got 2 storms outa my factory edges :eek: Your milage may vary though. And you also may have the blade with the replacable edges already mounted so you dont have to wear down the factory trip edge before you bolt some replacments on. Like I said though if you have the factory trip edge that is supposed to be partial worn down keep an eye on it, make sure you dont wear it into the spring perches on the back of the edge!!! You dont want to have to repair or buy a new trip edge.

I also make a deflector outa old conveyor belt. Very important, you can buy a comercially available one though.

Edit: if you want to see a pic of the old style controller look in the for sale section under my post of fishstic for sale.