1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western or Boss/Choices??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by truszip, Nov 11, 2003.

1. truszip

truszip Junior Member

Well I want to buy my first ever plow, in my area there's two suppliers, one carries Western and Fisher and the other Boss. I have no idea as to which one is better and it's probably a personnal choice like buying a car as all three look to be good quality units. Both suppliers have been around for quite some time so the support after the sale should be similar between both of them. However I do have a choice and I'm not sure which one to chose. Please bare with me as I know nothing about plows - At first glace the Western seems to be a good choice because it has a ultra-mount system which on paper looks like it maybe easier to install, but I've read things about the paint flaking off, bracing problems and problems with the connectors on the Western Plows. The Boss looks like a heavier unit and has a smarthitch 2 installation system and it looks like it has more re-inforcement bracing along the length of the blade which may or may not make it a stronger unit. The Fisher uses a Minutemount 2 system and the supplier says it's very similar to the Western just a bit more money. Of coarse both suppliers say theirs is the best? I'm looking at the "V" plow's so any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

All three plows you mentioned are very good units.Im a fisher guy myself so that would be my first choice.I love the way they plow.Western is a close runner up especially the new models they are very nice. I dont have much experience with boss but never heard anything bad about them.I would choose which ever unit gives you the best deal all three will work extremely well.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

All 3 are good plows, western/fischer have solved the powder coat problem along with the problems with the pins. If you go with western/fischer make sure your dealer installs the e-force harness system (they will probably try and charge a little more but its worth it). Show us some pics when its done.

4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

First i'd like to say all three brands put out good plows. personally i like boss plows there extremly easy to put on and remove it doesnt take me any time at all and there no lifting pulling prying needed to be done to remove the pins they remove themselves from the mount with the flip of 2 latches and you flip those same to laches to reinstall. its a pretty user friendly mounting procedure as for durrability the boss plows hold up quite well IMO. one thing to concider although i have not owned one. i have quite frequently heard that the fisher V's have been haveing a creeseing issue with the moldboard. im sure someoen can chime in who has one to tell you a little more about that subject. But whichever way you go you should end up with a good setup. also one of the other advantages as i see it with the boss plows is you can get the HID lighting which makes for some nice liting when plowing at night. good luck with whichever way ya go...

5. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I switched to a Western MVP last year and purchased three more MVP's this year, enough said?:D

6. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

GO WITH A BOSS!!!!:D THEY ARE BY FAR THE BEST BLADES OUT THERE (MINUS THE BLIZZARD WHICH IS A GOOD PLOW AS WELL.) I never have had any problems with my plows. Easiest to control, best hydraulic performance that is unmatched by any blade in the industry. I give Boss 2 thumbs up. No, I am not saying that just because I appeared in the 2003 issue of Boss magazine brochure!:drinkup: Jon

7. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Adam's plowing,
    In regards to the HID lighting setup on the Boss plow, those lights are really cool but extremely expensive. I believe they run about $1,200 for a set. I might be wrong on that price, but thats what I remember them being. Jon:waving:

8. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

:rolleyes: Owning both Western and Boss, I think the new Western is the better setup:

1.) Trip edges work better than the "tripless" Boss.
    2.) Faster & easier on/off.
    3.) Westerns' hinge doesn't break every year like our Boss' do.
    4.) The wider widths are more productive.
    5.) The built-in adjustments allows better clearing in all positions.
    6.) The plows floats better in the plowing position.
    7.) The plows lifts higher to clear obstructions and for transport.
    Etc., etc.

Bottom line: The edge trips and you don't have broken hinges.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
  9. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Yup there expensive But hey its nice to have the option to get em if ya want too.

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Boss all the way:bluebounc

Western also makes good snowplows. No complaints about them:waving:

11. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Haven't used the new Western blade. I have absolutely nothing against them either. :) I have just been very satisfied with my Boss plows. To each his own!:drinkup:

Truszip: Go with the "V" The V is the quickest and most eficient way to plow snow. V to cut your first pass through deep snow. Angle left or right to propel snow. Scoop, catch and carry NASTY little windrow lines quickly with "SCOOP position." It's like having a box plow on a truck.
    :nod:

12. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Buy the western mpv blade i have three, the plow motor on the boss is faster.but the western plow has all the extra features you don't pay extra for. i have been known to hit a few curbs and they hold up well .

13. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

western

I have been plowing with a Western for 16 years and I have never had a breakdown other than hyd hose getting pinched 1 time .Even tho Western also owns Blizzard and Fisher now I am sure they all have there Pro's and Con's I know Boss had some problems a couple years back with the center pin's breaking if they hit something hard .A plow any brand will only last as good as it's taken care of.

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

They both make great plows, but I like chain lift so i would go with the western, But if I was going to go the other route. I would choose boss over the hiniker and blizzard route with the lift cylinder. Do some research and you will get an answer.

15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I think he figured out what plow he wanted since this thread was started and ended back in nov of 03.

16. HVAC Guy

HVAC Guy Member
    from Chicago

haha Thats Exactly What I Was Thinkin'