1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western on Durango

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dbtoe, Aug 25, 2002.

1. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

In the last 2 plows I had I had them on a S10 2 door Blazer, 6 1/2 Western, and a 4 door Blazer same plow. This worked great for me I have a few res driveways and a smaller apartment parking area. I just got a new 2002 Durango and am putting a 7 1/2 Western Poly on it. Does anyone think the 7 1/2 will be noticable from the 6 1/2 plow? Easier, harder, better,no difference? I have to say the Small Blazer and the 6 1/2 plow sure was fun to plow with.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

A 7 1/2ft on a Durango? :eek: Sounds awfully big and heavy for a little Durango. I could be totally wrong by saying that, but i have never seen a Durango with a plow on it, let alone a 7 1/2 footer. I think if it could take a plow, 6 1/2 would be the most i would put on there, just like what you had on your other truck. Lets wait for some more people to reply and see what they say. Mike :)

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The Durango is built off the Dakota. This is a mid size truck. Bigger wheelbase then my Toyotas which a 6.5' barely clears. I run 7 and 7.5' on my Toyotas. I would think 7ft minimum. Check and the front axle rating. Is the plow from a dealer? I doubt a dealer would install a plow not properly rated. The Durango will have more then enough power for even a 7.5 blade.

The big difference you will notice is that you will clear snow faste because you have another foot of blade to work with.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

CT , good points, i dont doubt the Durango would have enough power to plow, but a 7 1/2 seems heavy for the frontend on a Durango. A Dodge 1500 series pick up with snow plow prep package, which is a half ton truck, can only get a 7 1/2 at the most, and most people on here refuse to plow with a 1/2 ton truck cause they think it isnt strong or heavy-duty enough. My thing is that a Durango cant take the same plow as a 1500 series which has a snowplow prep package and somewhat heavy duty suspension. Not argueing or anything, afterall i am the new guy around here, HAHA, just trying to get my point across. I dont consider a Durango to be anymore heavyduty than the other 2 trucks he lists which both had the 6 1/2ft plows on them, i just dont see how it could not dip like crazy when the 7 1/2 ft is raised. Again not trying to start an arguement, just good plow talk. :D Mike :waving:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2002
  5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

One thing to think about is that dodge will not warranty the front end if some thing breaks. If I were to put a plow on one . I would go with a snoway. Most people say 3/4 and up to plow because that is what the dealers will warranty.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I was in Westerns plow site and the 7 1/2ft Poly Pro weighs 730#'s. Thats 35#'s heavier than a regular 7 1/2ft Pro Plow. That seems awfully heavy to me for the front of a Durango. Mike
    UPDATE: I just went on Westerns site again and did the Quick Match where it tells you which plow you can put on which truck, the biggest (heaviest) you can put on the Durango is a 7 1/2 STANDARD which weighs UNDER 600#'s. Just thought this info would be useful to you. Hope i helped. :) Mike

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Mike

Good point about different weights of a 7.5ft plow. I would never mount a Fisher or Western Pro. I think a Meyer or Snoway plow would work well. Having run both small and large trucks I can say both have good points.

I am not sure about the front rating. It may droop a lot. This could be from factory soft suspension and not from a light front end rating. A problem like this can be handled with a set of timbrens.

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yup i agree there, a Snoway or Meyers which are lighter would be suited better or just go with the Western light duty also, just pick your color now, do you like yellow, red, or clear see-through? :D :D Mike

9. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

The Western LSX plow might be worth a look. It is 7'2" and weighs in at 480 lbs. It is not built as strong as the standard plow but look OK for driveways and light commercial use.

Razor

10. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

The standard 7 1/2 poly is 614 lbs. On the web site it is matched up with the Durango. Also my dealler that is installing it is a Western dealler. I think the front end was rated at 3600 on the durango. Looks like I will need to put 150 lbs on the back end, no problem. In fact that is the same amount of lbs that the Blazer asked for. The 6 1/2 western is 560 lbs not much lighter in my mind. How much do some of these other plows you are talking about weigh? Also anyone know what the 1500's front end is rated at?

11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My brother's 1995 1500 front end was rated at 3800.

While Timbrens or any any kind of load booster will help stop sag, they will not increase braking power, or stress on front end components. Unless you are very "in" with the dealer, they will not warranty anything, blaming whatever goes wrong with the truck on the plow.

IF the warranty is like our new 02 Dodge 2500, the warranty covers "anything lubricated by oil". IF they say not to install a plow on the truck in the owner's manual, and you do..... bye bye warranty.:waving:

This is just food for thought. I know members on here that run 8' plows on S-10's, and plows that are "too big" on many vehicles, with no problems at all. They also don't have warranties to worry about.

CT is right though, the Durango IS a mid size truck, in the same class as a Toyota Tacoma for instance, so technically, it should handle the larger plow much like the S-10 handled the 6.5' Western.

IF I wanted to put a 7 or 7.5' plow on a Durango, I would go with the lightest one I could find, but that's just my opinion....

~Chuck

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

With a Durango I would be very worried about warranty. That is a lot of money in an SUV to be plowing with. My 86 Toyota or Alans S-10s do not have these concerns. Both mine and his trucks also have other modiifications to make them better work trucks. Running a 7.5 or 8ft blade does not worry me in those cases.

13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I'll second the snoway, 7'6" plow weighs around 350# and will work with the durango.
    ~NaTe:drinkup:

14. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

I may be wrong but a 6 6 snow plow sure seems short to me on a Durango that is 6 2 or 3 wide. The reason I didn't go with a 7 footer was because at full angle it is 6 1 wide. A ? for all of you. Does a lighter plow back drag as well as a heavy Plow? Anyone Know what the Snoway or Meyers 7 1/2 weight is, and how wide when angled? Thanks to all so far for some things to think about.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2002
  15. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

Just noticed on Western's web page that the earliest model Durango that a plow can be put on is the 2000. Did Dodge beef up the durango in 2000?

16. Big Nate's Plowing

look@ the post above yours.

~NaTe :drinkup:

17. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

Yeah saw that on the Snoway. Thanks Big Nate. I also just found Snoway's web page. Looks like you forgot to add a 100 lbs for that 7 1/2. Or don't I need to add the sub-frame weight? In any case pretty light. Didn't see how wide at full angle.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2002
  18. Big Nate's Plowing

your correct on the subframe needing to be added in... it must have skipped my mind.

19. CURLERIC

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

Opinions Please Ref: Hiniker On O5 Durango

Hi,
    Just Put 7' Hiniker Poly Plow On 2005 Durango. I Measured Ground Clearance With Blade Lowered At Approx. 7'' From Under Mount Fork, Raised Blade Weight Lowers Truck Approx. 1" . Any Opinions On Whether That Is An Excessive Or Acceptable Sag?

Thanks For Feedback,
    Rich

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway 26 series 7.5 polycarbonate with down pressure. Add a poly wear edge as well, it will keep the weight down and is the bomb on sealed concrete or pavers. Plus you get the EIS light wiring system, no switches or relays to fail. But then I'm a little biased, as I have had great results with the snoways, and I not had near as many front end replacement costs since I made the change.