1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western on a Tacoma

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by toytacoma, Jan 25, 2005.

1. toytacoma

toytacoma Junior Member
    from ct

Running a 95 Tacoma X-Cab 4X4 V-6 with Western Uni-Mount S/U 6.5 for 3 seasons now. Added Timbrens to the front end and using 6 yr old BFG Radial T/A A/T with 50K on them. I am original owner & 104K miles on truck. Plow two gravel driveways, both 800' with steep hills.

Lately, 2 problems are showing up.

1) Front end vent tube 'pukes' some gear oil : vent tube could be plugged or ????

2) Engine starts running hot above 40-45 if on highways: Dex-Cool does NOT work as well as Prestone, even when changed every two years. Will switch back & maybe add a wee nip of the Water Wetter. Also will try the usual cooling system checks (radiator cleaned & flushed; fins checked; cap tested; system pressure test; etc.) or ?????

Anyone out there running a similar setup willing to share some info?
  2. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Not exactly the same but a 96 s10 blazer with western 6'6". My temp rises on the thruway at 55 mph there is an outside temperature display on my truck and at a standstill reads the daily temp say 15 F start on the highway and can watch it go to 45 F. What happens is the blade deflects air up over the hood and creates a vacuum in front of the grill sucking some hot air out. If you fan engages it just pulls hot air back in. Drive while its snowing out and you will see the flakes pass right over the hood, no fres air getting to the grill, not to mention the pump blocks up to 65 % of my grill. I took some 4" or so PVC 90 deg elbows and mounted the on the top cross bar on esach side of the lift are and then some elbows to deflect into the griil like an air scoop, now my temps do not rise much at all.