1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ny Pricing - Residential

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mrplowjr_ez_v, Sep 3, 2006.

1. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

Heres the deal:

My father has been in the business for 35 ys or so, and has only raised his prices a buck or two in the past 20 years. years ago it was 10 bucks a push or 175 for the season average 15-20 per year. he's up to 14-15, and 250-275 for the year they're all small 1 and 2 car drives he is picky and will only take the easy ones in "his" neighborhood.

I'm getting into the business this year in another neighborhood, slightly larger drives, most are 1 and 2 car drives 50-75 ft in length.

Not sure what to charge in my area, I hear of some of the lowballers doing it for 175 sometimes even lower. I'm not sure what the going rate is.

Keep in mind: a few years ago Kodak Had big time layoffs, and everyone and their brother got a truck and plow so prices are low as all the "retirees" are out on their free time.

Lastyear just for practice I had about 5 drives fro relatives and friends charged about 200 for the practice. I had one set of elderly sisters who were neighbors the driveways sucked, one had a turn arround one one side and a 6 ft dropoff on the other both were on hills. I charged 500 fro the pair I subbed through my brother-in-law's Landscraping biz.

Any idears on what I should do with the rates? anyone in my area with EXP. in the field?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If I was still doing driveways, 4 Bills for the season.

3. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

I was thinking close to that aswell.

My plan was to do half and half about 12-15 yearly and 12-15 per trip, Keep the per trips on the north south roads if possible. (Blowing and Drifting)

This way if its a fierce winter like we all hope I won't get too burned. and if its a lite winter like last year (4 trips) then I'll still have some money to make it worth while.

If I do this is 20/trip fair? with a 3" trigger.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

See how 25-30 per plow.Then see what they say, not sure about pricing in Rochester.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

welcome to Rochester Hell

$175 unlimited was 2 years ago low price, last year I think Metro had it to $149. Pricing residential in Monroe county is all over the board. Those that have been plowing for some time and do a good job get the good money. The other 90% are the people looking for the lowest price and have gone thru plowers like water in a seive.

Last winter the "low-ballers" won, and laughed all the way to the bank.

The 10% that are curtious and pay on time also look for complete year-round service.

Keep you overhead low, the distances short, the contacts high and you'll do alright.

I do $250 for the season and get very few calls, but they all book. For me even though I would like to get a lot more money I end up doing landscaping for them also so it's okay.

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Last year my driveway contracts started at $275. This year it's $300 or $325. I just cant decide. I dont wanna low ball but dont want to over charge in the same breath.

7. Kosty

Kosty Member

where in rochester are u plowing i got a few contracts im going to get rid off on the westside if u plow out thier