1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western not tripping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DieselRules, Jan 11, 2005.

1. DieselRules

DieselRules Junior Member

Hello all. I am new to Plowsite. I have lingered for awhile but just registered. Anyway, I have 2 problems that are really bugging me.

First of all my blade is a Western Pro Plus 8'. The trouble that I'm having is that the blade just does not trip. No matter how much snow I plow through the blade doesn't even come off it's stops. That's not all that bad, just not what I am accustomed to. However it doesn't trip over obstacles. To test it I used a 1" lip of concrete where asphalt meets a concrete slab. I tried going slow, the blade tripped a little but the truck stopped. OK now faster, boom, blade tripped more but the truck stopped. Now I went pretty fast at it and the blade tripped a good amount but the blade STILL did not get over the lip. I literally have to lift the blade when plowing over any little obstacle. My springs are adjusted correctly, actually a little looser now. Western has been of no help. I never had this problem with the old beat up plows I used to plow with at work. They would hit a bump, trip, pop up and keep going.

The other problem I am having is that the cutting edge is wearing in a U pattern. Which is annoying when the blade is straight because it leaves snow on the sides. Western tells me that with the UltraMount pivot the blade should level itself. I realize that but obviously it is not. And I do not only plow at an angle either.

Thanks for the help.

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Problem 1, blade not tripping...

You may have the 3 bolts that attach the cutting edge to the sector too tight. They are supposed to be loose enough to allow the blade to pivot. There is a slight posibility that the pivot points are rusted up but I doubt it.

Problem 2, cutting edge wearing in a U pattern...

Your mount (A frame) may not be parallel with the ground If it is sitting too high or too low and you plow a lot in the angled position it will wear down the outside of the cutting edge more quickly making the edge look like a U. Install the plow and put the truck and plow on level ground. Lower the plow and get out of the truck and look at the A frame. Make certain it is parallel to the ground.

Do you have a lift on the truck?

3. DieselRules

The blade is brand new I got it last winter. That was the one of the first things I checked and it is okay. And as for the A frame I did check the height according to the install instructions. And believe it or not the A frame is parallel to the ground within 3/8". Which is perfect according to there specs. I just don't get it.

4. Plow Meister

Sounds like you have gone through the obvious which is great! Did you check the tightness of the bolts? How abouot the trip springs. You should have 4 of them and a shock absorber. Are teh springs adjusted properly? You should be able to slide a business card between the coils. It should fit snugly. Also check the shock absorber. Highly unlikely but it could be frozen solid or rusted up.

As far as the cutting edge goes, that's a head scratcher. Did you slam into anything last year that could bend the plow mounts?

5. DieselRules

Yeah the springs are perfect. I actually, last night while contemplating what is wrong, loosened the springs a little. It did nothing. I have 2 shock absorbers(Pro Plus). And the blade does trip some, but not enough to do much of anything, so I can assume the shocks aren't frozen. I have to plow VERY slowly because even the slightest obstacle will just stop my truck dead in it's tracks. And I'm plowing with a diesel F-350. The thing is a tank. There is no way that the plow would trip to stop the truck (and plow) from being destroyed if I hit a curb, manhole cover, etc. at normal plowing speed. Oh and the blade and shocks are attached by pins not bolts, which I can easily push in and out.

I am thinking two things right now. First I might take off 2 springs to make the blade trip easier and SLOWLY try that small one inch lip again just to try to see what is happening. Secondly, I wonder if the stops aren't actually allowing the blade to trip far enough so that the cutting edge goes past the vertical point which would allow the plow to slide up and over the lip. ????????

6. DieselRules

I took off 2 of the springs. I actually took all of them off to check to make sure the plow hinged without binding. It was fine so I put 2 springs back on. The problem is with all the springs on, the truck can't bend the plow all the way if I slowly plow into the little 1" lip that I have been using as a test. And slamming into it at 10 MPH is not a good idea. So I rolled to it, the plow tripped and I gave it some gas until the truck wouldn't move anymore. I put it in park and put the e-brake on real hard and got out. The blade is tripped to the stops yet the blade WILL NOT slide up and over the lip. The cutting edge is only slightly past vertical.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? Anyone with a ProPlus have the same problem? It seems like the stops don't let the blade tilt far enough to slide over the obstacle. It's snowing right now and I don't want to plow again with this thing like this. HELP!

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

When you say the cutting edge is wearing in a U , I assume you mean the outer edges are wearing more than the center of the blade. This is normal. For two reasons. 1st when plowing with the blade angled the corners are the leading edge and are taking the most abuse from the pavement. 2nd the contour of the paved surface lets the outer edge ride on the pavement, such as a depresion or hole that you are plowing over.
    As for the hard tripping, try taking off two springs and you should be able to pull the blade by hand and make it trip. Raise the plow and put your feet on the cutting edge and grab hold of the top of molboard and lean back and pull. It should pivot at least 6 or more inches. Try using it with just 2 springs and see if it works the way you want it too.

8. DieselRules

Yeah that's what I did. I removed 2 springs and it trips easier but WILL NOT go over even a 1" lip. The truck just stops, hard. It's like the plow doesn't trip foward enough to make it slide up and over the lip.

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

You have a plow that is ment to use on roads and big lots its better that is works this way constint tripping w/load is no good

10. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Of the westerns I have used they seem to trip very hard which is IMO good. Good for tough situations. But to have a plow that will not jump over a 1" lip and stops the truck dead in its tracks is DANGEROUS to the truck plow and the driver. Take it back to your dealer as its only 1 year old and should be under warranty.

11. DieselRules

Thankyou Robo. You understand what I mean about it not going over anything just stopping dead in it's tracks.

12. Robo

Robo Senior Member

The pro plus is the toughest of the tough in plows. It is especially ment to trip hard so as not to trip when plowing a road or large lot with just a full load of snow. You should be able to swat the 1" lip and the plow should hit, trip, then go over it, and come back up and continue.

How fast have you hit the lip?? if you hit it real slow it will just stop the truck as there is not enough force there to completely trip the blade.

13. DieselRules

I have only used this plow about 3 times last year(2 were nothing major) and once this year. And I have hit a couple potholes or whatever last year that were pretty bad. Think hitting concrete wall at 15MPH. Thats why I took two springs off and tried it. It would trip easier so it wouldn't be such a hit. And nothing the darn thing just catches the lip and the truck is stuck as can be.

14. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I have the same plow on my company truck.That blade is made for heavy duty plowing so it is designed to not trip as easy as a pro or a standard.I just used this truck for clean-up this weekend and had no problem with manholes and cracks in lot. Although it did stop the truck when I hit a curb.

15. DieselRules

See then mine must be messed up cause I cannot get it to hit anything and keep going.

16. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Hey if you say its not tripping far enough , take off all the springs and shock and see how far it will go , This will at least rule out something. Maybe its hitting the stops . or the shocks are limiting the travel of it.

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know a thing about the your plow, but wouldn't the whole system have to go up to get over the curb. Even though the plow is tripping, the blade has to go up right. Is there some sort of pressure release that can be adjusted in the hydraulics so the blade will go up more, or do you have a chain lift like Fisher. On my plow, when I'm stacking snow, the blade will lift up on its own when the snow pushes it up. Wondering if your setup is resisting the upward movement. Just thinking outloud here, Nick.

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

DieselRules,

What were your other blades that you are comparing the new plow to.???

Size, type, make, etc.

If your used to an old sloppy 7' Meyer with two trip springs then you have a lot of "adjusting" to do to accept the characteristics of this new plow. I just think you need to be a little more aggressive with this new plow. Sounds like your not plowing fast enough for it to "jump" over the obstructions.

You could always remove ONE spring and turn it into a 3 springer. 4 springs on a 8' blade is sometimes pretty harsh. Remember, a 9' plow also uses the same amount of springs.

19. Plow Meister

So does a 7 1/2' Western Pro Plus. Mine trips very well. No worries here.

Have you considered the posibility that you are taking it too easy on the truck and blade? Not to say you need to drive like a mad man. Just remember that you will probably get the ***** beat out of you once in a while when you are plowing. It happens.

Try this... Disconnect all the springs and teh shocks. Raise the blade and see if it trips easily. If it dies than you may be taking it too easy and expecting the blade to trip too easily. Then, as DieselRules said, take a spring off and maybe a shock. Try that and see what happens. I know it takes a lot to trip my 7 1/2' Pro Plus.

20. salopez

salopez Senior Member

could you possibly not have put the plow into float?