1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western no plow movement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by schlich92, Jan 5, 2011.

1. schlich92

schlich92 Member

My plow will not move up/down or side to side. I was just starting and lifted up and down twice and then it just wouldn't move. It seems to dim the lights and make a noise when I try to move it, but it doesn't move. I did add some fluid, pretty sure it was low....but that didn't get it going.

Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.....

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Sounds like the motor might be shot, take a set of jumper cables and hook up direct power and ground....anything?

3. schlich92

schlich92 Member

no movement, but it makes a whirring noise like it is trying to do work....

4. schlich92

schlich92 Member

how expensive are new motors? I just use at home on my driveway and have sunk way to much into the truck this year....was hoping to get through the year.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Not the motor then...chck your connection at the grill to make sure it's tight.....What model Western plow is this, and what kind of truck is it on? 2 or 3 plugs at the grill?

6. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

Fluids may be frozen, since I park my truck outside I've had it happen under extreme cold a couple times.

7. schlich92

schlich92 Member

I am not sure what type it is, I attached a couple of pictures. It is mounted on an F-250 Ford pickup. It appears to have two plugs at the grill. Both seem to plugged in, pulled out and pushed together to double check. I also decided to back it into the garage in case something was froze. I hasn't been that cold though....

If you click on the pictures they seem to open then....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1770568272378&set=a.1770567912369.104481.1484376769
    [IMG]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1770569512409&set=a.1770567912369.104481.1484376769&pid=1899852&id=1484376769

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  8. RepoMan207

from Maine

I can't open the pictures.

9. schlich92

schlich92 Member

10. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

I had the same thing happen, I changed the fluid [and had it in a heated shop for several hours] we jacked up the plow and pivoted it side to side with the hoses dissconnected to try and flush out the old fluid.
    I suspect it was frozen. it worked fine but then today it was troublesome again. Im not sure but I suspect moisture still in the fluid. It took just short of 2 quarts to fill so I believe I got all the old fluid out [or 99% anyway] It is now working great side to side, but up is weak so I am going to rebuild the main up/down cylinder tomorrow.
    BTW 8' straight Western on a unimount, 01 Dodge 1500

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Posting pictures is fairly easy......Follow along.

Post Pic1.jpg

Post Pic2.jpg

Post Pic3.jpg

Post Pic1.jpg

Post Pic2.jpg

Post Pic3.jpg

13. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

I just got mine back up and running, when I unhooked the chain the main cyl worked fine up and down so we figured that pressure was low.
    adjusted the pressure up a bit on the pump and bingo!
    My mechanic thinks the screw backed off some over time or just cumulative wear on all the seals eventually causes a drop in pressure.

14. schlich92

schlich92 Member

front pic

Trying again...
    Thanks for your patience Repo

plow 1.jpg

15. schlich92

schlich92 Member

I parked it in the garage last night and it is still not doing anything. I can push the main cylinder (the one with the chain connected to it) up and down a bit. Not sure I should be able to do that.

It is a straight blade.

plow 2.jpg

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

No sweat man, we all have to start somewhere. I'm surprised you've been on here that long and never utilized it. I suppose though, not all situations call for pictures.

This is starting to sound like a stuck or blocked valve...and then again not. First things first, your going to need a partner in crime for the next step. Grab your screwdriver and start the truck up, remove the cover off the side of the pump where the wires go into it. First make sure all the spade connections are tight on each terminal. NOTE there is usually a diagram on the inside of that cover if ever needed. Now, while someone operates the controls, check for magnetic pull using the screwdriver at each coil. See the charts below to see what's supposed to be activated and when.

When was the last time you had the pump apart and cleaned it out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. schlich92

schlich92 Member

OK! We are making progress to figuring this out.....I took off the cover and discovered a green wire that was not connected....but I couldn't find where to connect it to. So I looked on the inside cover and it showed a blue wire should be connected to the bottom- check, a white one to the right, check and a green one to the left. The one on the left had a red one plugged into it. I unplugged the red one and plugged in the green one and now the plow goes up and down, but not side to side. I still have a red wire that is not plugged into anything. But I don't have an empty spade to plug it on.....The red wire looks a little bigger and is one the outside of the rest of the wires...

IMG_0332.jpg

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

That appears to be an add on for some reason, test it for power or ground using a test light. I'm thinking there maybe a previous issue. Trace it back to it's source and see where it comes from. It be an add in for a broken wire up the line..maybe that green one that wasn't plugged in.

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

If you angle the plow left....does it raise?

20. schlich92

schlich92 Member

It just goes up and down as it is supposed to.....I think it was an add in as well. But the diagram shows it to be hooked up the way it is. I wonder if one of the other wires is bad since the green one seems to have it working and it was just hooked up wrong. I will try to find my test light now and see what I find.