1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western new V or Boss new V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Every storm my 2 Meyer set ups break down.. Im done with them, looking at a new Boss 9'2 i own a Boss 8'2 and love it. On its 3rd season with no issues, also picked up a western straight ultra mount and we are way impressed. Love the trip option, it also doesn't fold over in heavy snow like the boss dose. So question is, dose the western V has the same option, and it looks like the the boss doesn't carry this option?

Thanks for any Intel

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What option are you talking about?

3. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

You mean a full blade trip?

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

The boss V is full trip, the Western V is trip-edge with compression springs...its basically a Fisher on a Western mount.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ouch!!!

To the OP, no it won't fold over. Western and fisher are close in design and share a lot of the same parts. The western is the better plow (haha).

6. Flawless440

Thanks guys... I got the boss in the works, now i'm wondering if I should back out and go for the western..:cry::cry:

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Skip them both and get a 9'6" Fisher Xtreme V. The Western is a knock-off. I love mine.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Have you checked out any of the comparison videos between the two? After you watch those the choice will be clear...Western all the way.

I've owned both and Boss does make a solid plow but they're just not in the same class as Western.

9. 1olddogtwo

Here we go

Either DD will do ya just fine, some say I have a hybird...westher.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If I buy another new one it be the MPV
    I own both brands 9.2 Boss and 9.6 MPV and the MPV is so much nicer plow
    Own Boss since 99
    MPV since 09
    You plow with the MPV you will never plow with Boss again

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Western has the best truck mounts I rather buy the knock off

I love your cross breed plow

12. 1olddogtwo

I wish I Just get a chance to use it before I head down on thrusday.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Interchangeability and dealer support should be primarily considered. Same reasons small fleets generally try to run all the same brand regardless of what brand it is. The support and versatility to get out of a jamb when something doesn't go according to plans.

If you already have one Boss vee a second would provide the interchangeability sometimes needed in the heat of battle. And although you already have one Western straight (so the mount is there) you're not going to swap it with a vee if/when needed without also adding the vee wiring to the existing truck if you weren't aware.

And as mentioned, dealer support is important too regardless of the actual brand. As they all need attention and replacement parts at some point.

14. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I'm just curious Camden... or anyone else.....but why do you feel the Western is better?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  15. Flawless440

Dealer offers both, no Fisher dealers around here.... Meyer has turned me off the yellow
    Some great points on here, thanks for the help.. Hoping in hear somthin today about the cash situation.

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Hydraulics are faster, trip edge is superior to full moldboard trip, wings retract hydraulically as opposed to mechanically (notice all of the posts recently from people who are breaking those springs?) and lastly you can stack higher with a chain lifted plow.

B&B makes a great point, though, dealer support should be a huge factor in making your decision.

17. 1olddogtwo

Don't forget at ugly mount and size for size the Western is wider.

18. 1olddogtwo

Its design and long term dependability has yet to be proven.

Jim do you guys still carry Western products?

19. 1olddogtwo

I'm sure when the new V is released, everyone will be pushing that some too.

20. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You forgot to mention that trip edges save transmissions too.

And, if you need a spare chain for your boat anchor, Western has one.