1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Mvp3 Controller

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kalebbpagel24, Dec 3, 2014.

1. kalebbpagel24

kalebbpagel24 Junior Member

Does anyone know if this controller will work wired directly to solenoids? make a long story short, i have a rear blade with wings that i would like to have a different controller. adding buttons to my mvp3 controller is really what i want, so i was thinking about buying another one, then combining them both into one controller..... i know im crazy, but somehow i will make one controller for both plow :D
    rite now it is just a box with 4 toggle switches
    UP-DOWN
    LEFT WING- IN OUT
    RIGHT WING- IN OUT
    BOTH WINGS-IN OUT

Monarch Pump

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

With out a plow module I don't see how it could work since that sends signal to module which then activates the valves.

3. kalebbpagel24

So if I purchased a module also it would probably work? Or are there any other brands that have buttons that are wired direct

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  4. kalebbpagel24

Someone has to be a wiring genius lol

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you buy a plow module (multiplex receiver / decoder) you could connect the outputs to whatever you want. If you got an older controller, not multiplex, for a straight blade it could be worked in but it will take some electrical skill. But that would mean two controllers, one for MVP3 and a second for the rear blades.
    If you did choose to go with a second plow module you could just put a switch on the two communication wires but it may be a problem getting the communication to work if you put the plow module at the rear of the truck. These two "com" wires are "twisted pair" and are very sensitive to outside interference and wire length. The Tornado uses the same multiplex system over a long wire so I know it's possible but putting the switch in might put it outside acceptable tolerances. You could put the plow module in the engine compartment and then just run the 12V outputs all the way to the back to limit the length of the com wire, that would be easy. The trick will be getting all the wires right. Genius? Not necessarily but skilled with electrical principals for sure.
    I just built a plow test stand into my booster cart that has no isolation module but will operated a three plug straight blade, three plug MVP and any new multiplex plow plus I connected a Tornado controller into the same package and it uses the same communication cable. I just unplug the sander control and plug in the plow, no different than a switch.
    Your idea is fascinating and I know it would work. You say you run the rear scrapper with four switches now, so if you get an HTS plow module it would give you the four outputs you need. This would be a fun challenge. If you choose to go ahead with this PM me and I will help you out with the wiring. I know these systems inside out.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  6. kalebbpagel24

Great info, thanks, I was thinking an older controller also. But there is not enough functions on them.

7. kimber750

EZ-v controller.

8. mishnick

the simplest controller has four functions, up, down, left and right. Four switches now, four functions from a straight blade controller. The controller you have for the MVP3 has 11 valves so there are 11 outputs but why spend money for a fancy 11 output controller when you will only use 4? Money to burn?
    You may be thinking that only three functions work in conjunction with the motor relay but that is a non issue. You can just use a diode to connect the down valve output to the motor relay. No problem.

9. kalebbpagel24

not familiar with them, looks like the same controller i have. but im guessing its a not so complicated controller? how many wires come out of it?

10. kimber750

10 pin if my memory is correct.

11. kalebbpagel24

controler is done!

Got it finished up tonight. i found out today that Boss makes a pretty simple controller. i had to add a few diodes, but it works great. then i retro fitted it to the back of my western plow, so i can control them both in one hand. looks like its going to work great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mishnick

That looks really good, almost factory!