1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KenP, Jan 4, 2003.

1. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Has anyone had any problems with the cotter pins that hold the angling rams to the A frame shearing off, both off mine did? Will the wings ever move together at the same speed?

dsc00356.jpg

2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

your putting that pin in wrong.put the pin on top of the frame not under it.so the hole in the bolt is sticking out the top not bottom.if you keep it that way those cotter pins will keep snapping.

3. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I was planing on doing that. It came from my dealer that way, I'll have to give him a call tomorrow. Any thoughts on the wing movement. Thanks

4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I do not own a Western, but I would think if you put them in from the bottom and you snapped the cotter pin, you would loose the whole thing and have it wind up somewhere in the pile of snow ....

5. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Ahhh, another very good point. How about if I were to put some sort of a bolt in it?

6. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Has anyone had this happen before, I'm no lunatic when I plow so I wonder if it's a flaw in the desgin. I will be puting a half dozen or so cotter pins in the truck prior to my next outing

7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

KLM fisher lover...lol

if you had a western u would see in the manual that all pins and bolts that go in the frame are facing up.i use to work for a ford dealership and my job was to install plows.10 hours a day 6 days a week.installed western,fisher,boss for 4 years

8. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

mike9497 ... just because you work there for all that time only proves you were either cheap labor or hard working or both ... that didn't mean you knew what you were doing LOL...:D

9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Fisher V same power unit, when the wing move together at the same speed I go buy lotto tickets, it means my luck must be changing. LOL.:drinkup:

10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

KLM

go buy a western and put it together and post on this thread how hard it was to do and how the pins and bolts face up on the frame.then tell me how you became licensed to do fisher and western installs.then tell me that you got the total labor cost which for me was between $300 & $600 per install plus your regular rate which was $18.50 plus a bonus every year pending on how many plows the dealer sold.so open your eyes a bit here.your posting about a western and you don't even own one.
    so grow up a little and stop acting like a two year old fat boy.

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Chill out, he was kidding around with you. Didnt you notice the :D at the end of his reply? Mike :drinkup:

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

now with a V your moving two pistons at once.on a straight blade your using one.so on a straight if you wanna go to the right your going to fill the left piston with fluid and the one on the right will be pushing its fluid back into the pump.so when your going to the scoop mode your filling both pistons at the same time.its like if you put two straight blades together and you only use one pump to run both.your filling two pistons so pending the pump speed one will always move faster.also if one hydro line is longer than the other that will slow down things also on the longer lines cycle.

13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i don't like people that kid around about something i take great pride in.if i had to choose i would still be doing that ,but do to a medical condition i can know longer use my hands to hold air tools and wrenches.even holding my girlfriends baby girl is hard to do now a days

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Sorry to hear that. :( Still though he was just kidding and he didnt know it would strike a nerve. Out of all the namebrands you have installed, which do you think, in your oppinion, is the best built, or most heavy duty? Im assuming your gonna say Western? Western is what I have too. Mike

15. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

western MVP and the pro plus they just came out with are awsome,but the fisher straight blade is more popular and i think works great in some conditions like ice under snow,but the MVP works well in that case to as its a trip edge also,i also feel that fishers are hard on trucks where the westerns full trip and trip edge blades are easier on the trucks frame,but there both great plows.made by the same company.

16. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

mike 9497 ... I think that the original posted question was in regard to piston pin installation, which in my admittedly meager experience would still appear to be best put in from top to bottom, not upsidedown so that they might be lost. If they are designed to be installed from the bottom to the top, and all that is holding them in a a fragile cotter pin, perhaps you should not take your agressions out on me but direct them at the manufacturer for poor design.
    Nextly, as Mike 97 SS pointed out, I was only playing with you ... obviously I am the master otherwise you would not have felt the need to lower yourself to "name calling".
    As to your physical disability ... I was unaware of this and had no way of knowing that insinuating your incompetence in fun, would result in such agressive responce, even after you branded me a "fisher lover" not knowing how I came to own or be using one ... you as I, made an assumption.
    Also, something that should be said to all ...
    When posting, e-mailing, IMing, it can and often is difficult to discern the intent of a word or phrase of a writer by just reading alone ... without us all being literary scholars, we often do not elaborate in detail the intentions of our words, and unfortunately they sometime are taken out of context.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2003
  17. fordhipo

fordhipo Junior Member

Well in over 8 years I have never lost a cotter pin when install correctly, pin up. You get more rough action on the bottom where a cotter pin could break more easily if installed pin down.

18. EIB

EIB Senior Member

This is the fourth season on my MVP. Cotter pins are facing downward and I have not sheared one off. It seems to me if the cotter pin are shearing off, you are putting direct force on the ram pin. Wouldn't that mean the plow is up stacking snow, in order to put pressure on the ram pin to shear the cotter pin? I would prefer to have the cotter pin down, because there is a lesser change of the ram pin coming out.

19. fordman

fordman Senior Member

The pins in my western are pointing down as well and I agree that if the cotter pin happens to come off there's less of a chance of the entire pin actually falling out when they're pointing down.
    Just my two cents.

20. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well look i have owned many western snow plows.i have installed them also for quite some time.so im going to say this one more time.the cotter pins and bolts go in facing up.my father has had westerns for years this way and has never snapped a pin.all 4 of my westerns are done just like the book says."bolts and pins go in facing up on the frame."so your telling me that when your stacking snow that those pins facing down are not going to hit a curb or a hard pile of snow? by putting them on the bottom your putting a load on them.the bottom of the pin moves more than the top from putting a load on it.if you still want them in that way i at least recommend that you drill out the hole bigger if possible and put a small bolt and lock nut in the cottor pins place.tuff to do but thats what i would do if i was thick headed.good luck!