1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OhioPlower, Apr 2, 2007.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

What do you guys think of the western MVP? What would you guys pay for a older style (still a new blade) MVP? Local dealer has one at a decent price I think. Are the hydralics slow on the MVP's, Ive heard alot of guys say they were but are they that slow? Also, how would my truck handle the MVP. 04 2500HD reg. cab duramax? Thanks

2. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I cycled my boss against a friend's mvp and i could go forward and back before he could go forward.

3. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

If you NEED a V plow, the MVP is one of the best!

V plows are great for breaking a path through up to 3 ft of snow, and then widening set to straight or scoop in "Herring Bone" patterns. If you plow parking lots with 6", the value of the V plow becomes minimal.

I have run my 8.5 MVP this year on snow depths that NO straight blade could handle (they tried and failed). First pass in V (actually A), break her open. Then, widen using flat blade or scoop.

The MVP is not a loader, but this year I have opened roads that in years past only a 3 CuYrd loader had handled!

Western builds a HARDCORE mountain plow. I'll own no other!

As for the speed of the hydraulics, the NEW MVP Plus is a major improvement, but still not as fast as a straight blade. Also, because of location of the pivot points, using the hydraulics to push yourself out of a bad spot is ineffective in most cases. Bigger rams, and wider pivot points would help here. Use ONLY fluid that meets the Western spec for extreme cold and you will surely see the true capabilities of the MVP.

I would not put an 8.5 (or over) MVP on anything less than 1 ton, solid axle (not independent front end).

BTW- Are you up near the Lake? I grew up in Sandusky, and am curious as to the type of winter my old homeland has had this year.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

im a little bit south of cleveland

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have an MVP for sale at Jerres Service in Erie. Give him a call and I am sure a deal could be struck. Or call me at 860.608.1842 for pricing.
    Dino