1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western mvp vs boss power v

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Starboyz66FTP, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

i am going to sell my 7 1/2 western pro and get either a mvp or boss power v. which in everyones opinion is better and why??
  2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have a western v but i fell that Boss is the original and best cos they have been in the v plow business from day one

Just my 2 cents
  3. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

from what ive heard from several mechanics they are just about identical all the way down to the color. lol. i think its really what dealer's closer and the brand you want to go with
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Their both top notch plows and you can't go wrong with either. The Western has a great attachment system that will connect to the truck even on uneven ground. The Boss hook up is good too but they need level ground for the smart hitch to be easy to attach. The hydraulic's are fast and reliable on both. The biggest difference between the two is whether you want a trip edge (Western) or a full moldboard trip (BOSS) and whether you want a cylinder lift (BOSS) or chain lift (WESTERN). The Western also has double acting wing cylinder's and the Boss has single action cylinders.So if you do a lot of back dragging your gonna need to purchase the smart lock cylinder's for the Boss at an additional expense that you wouldn't need to do on the Western. Bottom line though you wouldn't be disappointed with either.
  5. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

They are actually quite a bit different. Yes they both are red but far from identical. Western and Boss both make a good plow. Go to the boss website and they will compare the two.
  6. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I went to Boss website and saw the videos. Those are old videos and don't compare them to the new western and fisher V plows. IMO, A full trip plow in V position is useless. IMO Western is a better plow. Though both have there benifits. I personally like the Fisher Extreme-V better than westerns.
  7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I personally like Boss, and I have owned both. I dont like the way the paint wears on the Western. I have seen 2 year old Western's that already have rust all over them, where 4 year old Boss' still look new. I also prefer my Boss dealer to the Western dealer here, and because the Boss Smarthitch, IMO, is far superior to all others, but that is just my personal preference.....:salute:
  8. snoking

snoking Senior Member

i have only owned boss v's, hardly any copmplaints, and what i would complain about the new ones are already fixed.

i have a sub that has a western, he has broke the tower(where the wings hing) 5 times since he bought. also when he is in scoop mode and lifts the plow at the pile and just backs up with it in scoop mode twice he has hit a bump and with chain bounce broke the under carraige loose

i also dont see many changes on the new western at the dealer across the street from me....i do feel their straight blades are as good as most other though.
  9. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

your sub must be a maniac

I personally own a western v and a few straight blades. I run the v and trust me I run it pretty hard (the more i get dont the more I get paid)

Have never had a problem with it.

The smarthitch and the way the westerns hook up are no comparison hand down the western takes the cake.

The ultramount should be standard for every plow in my opinion
  10. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

the comparisons on the boss website are a joke.

I am not too sure those stops on the westerns were installed to keep the ram from going through the moldboard. Funny this is they never mentioned that when you back up with a boss down you run the risk of destroying your hydraulic ram without an optional part installed.

Let leave the sales pitches up to the sales people.

I like my western v and the next guy likes the boss v. I am sure they are both good plows. It all comes down to dealer support.
  11. VanceCox@RASK

VanceCox@RASK Junior Member

A little bit of V-plow knowledge.....

I have sold, serviced, and used snow equipment for over ten years and here's the way I break it down on Western and Boss V-Plows.....

ALSO PLEASE REMEMBER.........................I no longer sell snow equipment nor have any ties to any mfgs. and/or distributors of snow & ice equipment!!..................................

Western MVP Positives -

1) I like the little plug holder built into the plow.:)
    2) On new style Westerns most of the undercarriage removes from the vehicle.

Western MVP Negatives -

1) Double acting cylinders make the plow move slow and works the pump twice as hard as plows that use single acting cylinders (i.e. Boss/Hiniker). The reason Western went with the double acting cylinders was to help with back dragging...I've found that what little back dragging I have to do with my V-Plow I can handle no problem with a standard Boss or Hiniker (let alone one equipment with smartlocks or backdrag wings).
    2) A chain? Why would Western totally revamp their snowplow from the mount out and still have a damn chain on it? Get with the times and admit that Boss/Hiniker/Snow-Way/Etc. have a better way of lifting a plow.
    3) Trip Edge? Why even discuss trip methods of V-plows. Anyone thats used, or seen, both styles (full moldboard or trip edge) in action should tell you it doesn't matter....V-Plows don't trip! This, like the double acting cylinders, was just a selling feature promoted by Western to compete against Boss plows that had the patent for many years.
    4) Paint. Unless Western's new paint process has jumped leaps and bounds from their previous paint process, their paint sucks!
    5) Hydraulic System. Why isn't the Western hydraulics package inclosed? ATF? Boss, Hiniker, and even sNOw Way hydraulics packages are superior to theirs.
    6) Troubleshooting. While working at Mid-State Truck for over ten years I saw anything and everything come into our shop broke down. We were the only plow distributor open after hours (past 5:00 pm) to service the Indianapolis market. Sure we were a large Boss Distributor and a Hiniker distributor as well....but we serviced more Westerns and Meyers than their distributors did! Granted Meyers plows had issues...but we could figure those out. But when a Western, especially newer style Westerns (eletronic, not cable operated) and M.V.P.'s came in it was tough figuring out what the heck was wrong with them in the first place!

My bottom line on Western Plows is their cable operated plows were awesome back in the day, heck many of them are still going today. Their straight blades aren't bad, although I'd rather have a plow with a direct lift cylinder and a bigger enclosed power pack any day of the week! Also, if I came accross a buy on a used Western straight blade that fit my truck...I would consider it. However, even if someone gave one to me....I would never own a Western M.V.P. I'd sell it and buy something...anything else!

Boss Positives -

1) The biggest, best hydraulic system available on a snowplow.
    2) No Chain - speaks for itself.
    3) Simple. Boss keeps things simple. The same harness works on any truck (light adapters are specific) and that same harness works straight blades and V plows. This makes things alot simplier for people who own multiple plows and trucks.
    4) Selection. Boss has 4 sizes of steel V plows and 2 sizes of Poly V plows to fit your specific truck.
    5) Paint. Boss's paint process is the best in the industry.
    6) Curb Appeal - Boss plows are the best looking plows on the market. This doesn't make you anymore money, but means alot to some.
    7) Support. I've personally met most of the people at Boss, I've even toured the factory, and the one thing I can tell you about their company is that they are sincere about building the best plow on the market and they care about you, their customer. R.I.P. Jim Kanter!

Boss Negatives -

1) The center snow catcher - It's been long overdue...but they finally fixed this problem with their new edges. And they are Awesome!! Good job to the engineers at Boss!
    2) Pushframes - Boss RT3 push frames (part going from the light tower to the center section) are weaker than the extreme duty RT2 push frames that preceeded them. Boss did this on purpose while designing the RT3 plows because the previous ones (RT2's) caused alot of vehicle frame damage. A mistake in my eyes.....if I'm Boss, I would have worried about my product...not pickup truck frames.

My bottom line on Boss....Boss has the flat out best straight blade plows on the market! They are heavier duty, faster, and better looking than anyone else out there! I'll put money on a boss super-duty or trip-edge straight plow against them all. Any day, all day! Also, if your looking for the best all around V plow out there....buy a Boss. They have the best hydrualics, paint, and best all around looks out there.

However, if your looking for the heaviest duty, most hardcore V plow out there (aside from the Boss 10' V) go with an older Boss RT2 or a Hiniker V Plow!

I'll step off my soap box now. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, just stating my opinion.
  12. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm not trying to be a wise a$$ but what's the big deal about the chain on a western? I've never had a problem with mine (other problems not related to that) and neither has my dad on his conventional jobby. I always looked at it as why reinvent the wheel.
  13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My RT2's won't die, and they won't get replaced until they do! I have a feeling they will be around a long, long time.

14. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Now thats a good post because here is a person that has experience with both plows. Not just saying one or the other is better because thats the one he owns.
  15. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Boss V compared to Western V.

I have a ultra mount Western V and the guy I plow with has the Boss V, and here's how I see it
    The Boss has faster hydraulics, simple joystick, and a piss poor center shoe (do a search on hoof and you will see)
    The Western has a better mount, snow deflector, standard locking cylinders (if you backdrag), and slow hydraulics.

Boss has fixed the center shoe issue on the new plows but it will cost you if you buy a used one.

Neither will trip in the V Scoop position.

Regarding the chain lift, I have never had any problems with my Westerns snapping chains, and If you have an electric or hydro failure you can drive into a snow pile and shorten your chain to transport it home..

I'm not sure if boss or the other non chain guys have a feature like that. (i never asked before)
  16. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

I have owned both the Boss V and the Western MVP. I currently still have Boss and now own two MVPs. I liked the Boss until I ran into issues with service and parts availablity.
    I continued to have problems with ripping the center snow catch off of the Boss. Manholes, drain grates, uneven pavement. Even with shoes it was a problem. I found that the ram for lifting created one big problem when it came to clearing. Angled entries that then flatten out; the blade would not come down far enough to clean it. Without the smartlock cylinders, backdragging is a problem. My biggest issue as I said before became parts and service. Tell me that I need to wait a week for parts in the middle of the season is a problem. One of our biggest dealers stopped carrying Boss because of this and he was 45 minutes from me. The closer dealers are all subs to a larger local dealer. They are not required to carry any amount of inventory and their pricing is all predetermined. They carry the basic parts. Anything else they need to order. If I had better response I probably would not have switched to Western. Like I said I still have one Boss.

The new Western MVP has faster hyrdro response. Last year they went to a rubber center piece. I have not had any problems with it. This year they changed it again, it is now part of the cutting edges. No ripping it off. The chain lift I have found to be better at following the ground contours. I also like the ability like someone else said; you can run your plow up into a pile and chain it up if something breaks. When I lost a line on my Boss, it was get the jack out. My oldest Western is two yrs old and no paint issues. My plows and spreaders all get washed within a day or two of each event as well. My Westerns have always looked good, but so have my Boss'. Service and parts are not an issue for me. Within an hour drive I have 6-8 large dealers. Most have after hours service and carry/stock every part for Western plows and spreaders going back years.

I think, when it comes right down to it, it is going to be personal preference. Where can you get good service and parts. Which dealer is closer. What do you like. Both are good. I use to think the Boss was better. Now I think the Western is better.
  17. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Actually Diamond had the 1st movable wing v plow not Boss
    I would never own a full trip V plow why, 1 of my drivers lost his front teeth when he hit a storm drain in the scoop postion.
    Having had a Boss which didn't back drag , and a Fisher EZ-V which did, plus I could angle it with 1 push of a button from full left to right, to now a X -V
    Hands down my new X-V is the state of the art V plow, faster then a Boss, with a trip edge, back drags better then most straight blades. Boss is playing catch up

18. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Why does everyone think Boss made the first Vs? Diamond made one long before.

Double Acting Cylinders are a must on a V-plow, only way to postion and hold the plow anywhere in its travel.

Trip edge is a must for a V. A full trip V can an will wreck the mount and truck if not the driver. I have seen any bent and broken Boss mounts from hitting objects.

Lift chains are a must on all plows. See the broken Boss lift tower thread if you question why.

Are super fast hydraulics that critical? I am never "waiting" for my hydraulics.

Winner Western Fisher Vs no question.
  19. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I like my Boss V. It trips just like a straight blade. I tried it a few times just to see. Maybe my springs are softer. I have the smartlock cylinders so thats not a problem and I like the main hydro cylinder better than i thought for the main lift. It goes plenty low to follow grade as long as its in float. I have no complaints but have only used it for one storm.
  20. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

A lot of personal preferences here ( and all good by the way). I have 1 Boss RTIII and 2 Boss RTII power V plows. One is poly and two are steel. One has the handheld control and two have joysticks. I can say that none of them have ever failed me (I actoully finally broke a wing spring last winter for the first time) I have been plowing with Boss power V's for 6 seasons now. I know now that I had better "knock on wood" just for makeing the previous comment. I have given fisher V's some serious consideration but why switch when I'ts not broke? I put my plow thru some (what I would consider) serious sh*t. I looked down this morning and noticed that I was plowing the school parking lot at about 25 mph. That is how I usually operate. Don't get me wrong, I don't intentionally abuse equipment, but I do get all it's worth out of it, as I'm sure everyone else does also. I have to say that my pickup breaks down but not my Boss. That's not saying that I couldn't be lured into trying something else though.