1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP to Pro Plus?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by zepplin810, Oct 19, 2014.

1. zepplin810

zepplin810 Junior Member
    from Midwest

We've got 8 plows in our fleet, some MVPS and some Pro Plus straights. I would like to be able to move and service all of our plows with the same truck, however the MVP (my truck) uses two wire connectors to the plow and the Pro Plus uses three. Is there any plug and play conversion to be able to use one truck for both MVP and pro plus?
    Thanks!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have my 550 riged for both for service & testing purposes. You need to ad a motor relay and three wire style battery to grill cable. Then add a three wire controller cable from cab to relay to grill. There is one spot where you either have to switch a plug under the hood or splice the two plugs together (as I did) but then you must make sure never to have both style handheld / joystick controllers in at the same time.
    In the end you will have four plugs at the grill and two plugs in the cab for the two types of controllers.

3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Pretty much what I did with addition of a custom connector so I don't have to switch anything under the hood.

4. mishnick

I use my truck almost exclusively for testing and service so I also put a third control cable and second relay in so I could hook up to the old style MVP with the big black plug on the controller. So I have three plugs in the cab and 5 plugs at the grill. Where I used to work they asked me to work on plows while the customer always wanted to take their truck with them, so I rigged my own truck for testing. Worked out great.

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You don't need three in the cab or five out front. If you run the 7 pin for the old MVP then you can hook up a straight blade with the adapter in the cab for the straight blade controller. 3 controllers one adapter and 2 harnesses in the cab.

6. mishnick

Yes I know that now but didn't then. I had to pay for that lack of knowledge

7. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yea it's all about learning. Thanks for all the help and insight you provide! I'm sure I'll need some on the newer fleet flex stuff eventually. I also made up a adapter to hook up older ultramounts and unimounts(relay style) to the isolation wiring in my truck.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Well put... seems to be the way we all learn... with our wallets