1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western mvp question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ctkiteboarding, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ctkiteboarding

ctkiteboarding Junior Member

sold my 97 dodge ram truck, the guy buying it doesnt want the plow, my question is can i still get a harness and frame mount for an older western mvp that will fit a new truck 2011 ram thanks in advance

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it is a unimount then it can be problematic getting the mount but the wires should be easy enough. I understand that you can still get the pieces to assemble an old unimount vehicle mount but you have to weld it together yourself. if it is an ultramount MVP then ther is no problem, just go to the Western site and look up your vehicle on Quickmatch
    http://www.westernplows.com/wp/index.php
    I suggest when you move to the 2011 Ram that you convert to the 3 port isolation module system.

3. ctkiteboarding

did a quick search it says ultra mount not sure if thats correct,,, would you recommend removing the mounts of the 97 , i dont think they will work on the new truck and didnt want to mess with it cash sale see ya later deal

4. mishnick

If it is in deed an ultra-mount then you might as well just leave the mounts as they won't work on the new truck anyway. Just go to that quickmatch thing and look up both the old and the new truck with the same plow selection. The program will give you part numbers for both mounts, you will see that they are different. At the same time you can see what headlight harness you need as well as the control cable and three port isolation module. Depending on what kind of vehicle wiring you had it might be a good idea to keep some of the wires like the control cable, relay, battery cable and headlamp plug. Did the old truck have relays or an isolation module?

5. ctkiteboarding

id be lying to ya if i said i new,, ill look into it this week, im not to excited about taking anything off the truck for fear of creating problems that i don't really want to work out .
    im hoping i can get the mounts and a new harness to run the plow , its in pretty good shape other then alittle surface rust still has the orig cutting edge the hasn't even been flipped

6. ctkiteboarding

ok its a uni mount :mad: do you think its worth mounting on a new truck or best to try to sell it:dizzy: ,,, im not sure what kind of demand for a 1998 western plow there is

7. mishnick

I would be calling a western salesperson and asking if they can get a mount. I have heard that you can still get them in pieces but at our shop the salesmanager NEVER seems to be able to get them. When the owner insists on moving a uni-mount to a different truck we order an ultra-mount with an adapter but as I understand the adapters are about $300 not including the main mount and installation. Then comes the wiring which I would expect to cost in the neighbourhood of $800 or more.

I can't make your decision for you but to me this kind of transfer is only practical if you can do it yourself. In the end, if you have to pay a dealer to do it the cost will make it unpractical. You might be able to sell the plow to someone who has a truck but their plow is toast. The bottom line is how much you need it and can you afford to buy a new ultra-mount, or do you even really need the plow at all? It's all about the money.

8. ctkiteboarding

always is the about bottom dollar ,,,, im guessing its worth maybe 500 bucks on cl or ebay.
    mounting it on a brand new truck just wont happen, id prefer a new plow anyway,

the guy looking to buy the truck is in fla and just cant do anything with it so i though it might work but not worth it,,,, thanks for your time , the info helped alot :drinkup:

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck requires a ultra mount setup.. They do sell a conversion kit from "ultra" to "unimount"..

Here is a picture
    myconver.jpg

myconver.jpg

10. mishnick

Twinman has it nailed there with the photo, that's the adapter. But if you consider that understand that it will extend your plow outward about six inches changing the weight effect on your suspention. They also hang quite low and tend to catch curbs etc. Most people regret buying them and we suggest them only if they just want to get one or two seasons out of an old plow before upgrading to an ultra-mount plow.

11. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

I'm not looking to hijack your thread, but if you wanna sell it, let me know. I have a 7'6" straight blade on my 99 unimount, but kinda would like to have the v-plow instead of buying wings and whatnot for my current plow. Don't have to happen a controller to throw in to do ya!!

12. ctkiteboarding

the buyer still has not come to pay and pick up the truck so hang on, if he decideds not to take the plowt , ill have the plow and it will need an home , maybe he could drop it off when he is headed south

13. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

that would be awesome. shoot me some pics and a price to jd179@cavtel.net. I'll paypal ya if that works for you.