1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wewille, Feb 9, 2014.

1. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Hey guys, today while plowing one of my blades went down. Its a Western MVP PLus. You can hear the motor "freewheeling" So I'm assuming the pump broke or something. I intend on tearing into it in the morning. However before I do that I will of course go in search of that silver bullet fix. So what have you guys found, seen, or experienced. I will be sure to post the fix to help somebody in the future!

2. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Also Ive noticed that it has been puking hydraulic oil out of the vent lately too. It is full of oil, but I have been topping iot off after every storm. Just like everybody it has been a very busy winter so I was just adding oil and I didn't not try to find the cause of the oil puking.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Fluid coming out the filler cap indicates it's overfull. With blade down and straight u fill the top only until it runs out the fill level plug on the back side. Freewheeling pump can b ice buildup on the sump screen if it's very cold or disintegrated pump gear. Pump failure can seize the pump or make it freewheel.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

There a fill plug and higher up is the vent cap Don't fill at the vent cap The lower plug is where you add to

5. mishnick

You can fill from the back but if you do you must take you funnel out and wait for the exes fluid to drain, seems like a waste to me, and a mess. That's why the top one is called "filler / vent plug" and the one on the side is called the "level plug". I have a little adapter I use to fill from the top. Two brass elbows and a few inches of synflex air line. One end fits the pipe thread where the filler / vent plug goes and the other elbow is reamed with a bit of a taper to friction fit my little funnel. Fluid goes in the funnel just until I see it approach the lip of the level plug at the back of the reservoir. I leave the funnel in the top and just run the level plug in finger tight while I cycle the rams to purge the air. Three times I top up and recheck and its done. Funnel out, plugs tight, no lost fluid, no mess on the floor to wipe up.

adapter.jpg

fill.jpg

6. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I found the gear in the pump broke. 200 bucks for the pump 2 hours of time and some fluid and we are back in business! I fill it from the side plug until it comes out. Just like a differential. Almost two years ago Western put a pump on this blade. It gets used about 10 hours minimum per storm and gets used hard. What causes the gears to break in it?

7. mishnick

What destroys pumps? Dirt. In hydraulics training they will beat into u that a particle 1/4 the dia of a human hair will destroy a pump or valve. Dirty funnel, dirty hands, shop dust, they r all sources of contamination. It only takes a grain of sand to chip a pump gear tooth. That chip breaks off a chunk then the chunk takes out the whole pump.
    It is important, after a pump fails, to do your best to clean out all the shrapnel or your going to loose another one.
    I wonder, do u think your res was overfull or was the bad pump churning up the fluid so much it foamed over?

8. wewille

wewille Senior Member

I didnt see much metal debris anywhere in there. The screen off the pump wasnt that bad, although the western dealer was just in there and replaced that screen a few weeks ago. The screen was plugged up then and the blade was moving very slowly. Maybe thats when the pump started to fail or thats what caused it to fail... Anyways more trouble. Last night I just ran it out of the shop, then this morning I had to clear out a few loading docks and noticed the blade will not angle left, It will however angle right, go up and down and the scoop and retract functions operate fine as well as independent control of each wing. It just wont angle as a straight blade to the left... I will double check that I hooked up the lines correctly, which I believe I did as every other function works fine, but I will double check anyway. I did not do anything internally other than replace the pump. I did not mess with any valves and ensured to keep any rag lint out and kept it clean as good as possible. Thanks for the tips! You've been a big help!

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You was thinking there But I think its easier to have a hand pump in a jug with a hose

10. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Well the hoses are prperly hooked up, but it just doesnt want to angle left. You can hear it try. It sounds like it is building max pressure.

11. mishnick

I would like to try a different controller to see if that allows it to angle left. Since all other functions work it suggests that the valves are all working. Just not being given the correct instructions signals from the controller maybe.

12. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Well I checked the Western mechanics guide and fount that solenoid s9 is activated only when angling left. So I pulled the covers off and found that solenoid wiring fell off, I must have knocked it off when I put the assembly back on the plow frame. It now works great. Hopefully this is the last of my troubles for the season!

Thanks again mishnick for the advice.