1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP Plus Poly Plow Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sbrennan007, Oct 30, 2009.

1. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Have a question here that I'm hoping some of you with the newer Western MVP Plus plows can answer.

I'm looking at getting a new plow here, and have been looking at the Western MVP Plus Poly 8'6".

My question is, on Westerns website, it shows it as having two cutting edges, one for each wing. When I have looked at what I can find picture wise (outside of Westerns website), it like there are actually 4 pieces to the cutting edge. Two longer edges that come from the outside in and then two smaller center sections that appear to curve in to wards the center to block snow.

Anyone have some good pictures of these and how the setup is? I'd also be interested in any other feedback on the MVP Plus Poly plows as this will be my first non strait blade plow in 23 years.

Thanks much in advance. ussmileyflag
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You are correct, it takes 4 pieces. The two smaller pieces are essentially replacing the center piece of rubber that the old style edges required.
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

This plow is awesome. You will want the rubber flap on top of the plow. You will want to put cotter pins into the legs when mounted so they don't come un done.

The cutting edge should be the 1/2" not the smaller one or it will break. The blade is four parts because the outer edges are hardened and they found it difficult to bend hardened steel during production ... hence four pieces. Besides making the inner adjustment is then easier. The paint job on the metal is crap so, spray that right away and it will look good years later.

Get the backdrag blade as well. The only big thing you might notice is when your back dragging you can not adjust the angle of the blade while moving without the wings folding in. Otherwise just as good for back dragging.

Great plow, Vee is the way to go.... You'll never regret it.
  4. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

hey what do you mean put cotter pins in the legs when mounted? im interested in this but dont know where to put them.
  5. scottL

Actually I should have said Hitch Pins.

When the Ultra Mount is attached the leg's swing up and hook on to your truck. There is a hole than runs through the leg and the frame. Put the pin through that on each side.

You can search the threads but, the gist is ice can back out the pin they designed to hold the legs up and the plow can come unattached at the wrong time.
  6. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Isn't the Ultra Mount on the V plow the same as it is on the others, such as a Pro Plus? I'm familiar with how the feet rotate up and latch onto the truck, but there should be a spring loaded pin that locks them into place.

As for the rest, I'm planning on going with the Poly V. I've heard and read that the cutting edges wear down real fast on these, at least faster than on a standard strait blade. The MVP Plus V comes with the 3/8" cutting edge, but you can then get the 1/2" as a replacement.

I was just concerned about 'excessive' cutting edge wear. I have traditionally gone through a cutting edge (3/8") about every year, and can sometimes get away with 2 years if there isn't allot of snow.

As the cuttings edges are about $300 for the V plow, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be going through a set or two a year. :dizzy:

7. scottL

Yes, there is a spring loaded pin. It does not go far enough in and yes, ice can be packed in and it will work it self outward. Hitch pin $3 a piece that's $6 at menards. Plow falling off truck payup

I've snapped 2 of the 3/8 blades in a single season. The weight of the plow along with an unforeseen bump in the road or plowing surface .... With the 1/2" no problems.
  8. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

I have two of the mvp's and love them and yes the cutting edge does come in 4 pieces. I also have the back drag edge on both and wouldnt have it any other way.
  9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, the cutting edges are expensive but if you're going through them quickly that should mean that you're making some good money.

Paying for new edges is just one of the costs of doing business.
  10. garr_trenching@

garr_trenching@ Junior Member

Do you have a vender other than western for your edges, Thanks.