1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western mvp plus no power

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jeckstine, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

I moved my mvp plus from my old truck to a 2015 f250. Got the correct wiring harness from the dealer for the new truck. When you plug the cables in the lights switch to the plow lights but the hand held controller will not power on. There is power to the little red wire in the cab. Both fuses look fine and I can not find any loose connectors. Any thoughts? Is there a way to test the hand held controller short of plugging a different one in?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Where are u getting power from on the small red wire that powers to controller?

3. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

Yes I have power at the little red wire. I was thinking about checking for power at 4pin plug to see if it is there.

4. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

Is your ground for the power cable grounded right

5. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

negative goes direct to the battery. Cant say I remember a chasy ground

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Check the 2 four pin, weather pack connectors in the control harness. The one that is broken out of the middle of the control harness plugs into the lighting harness, and the one at the very end of the control harness plugs into the battery cable. If the two are swapped, you'll have no power.

7. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

On my C5500 Topkick, the batteries are on the side, under the pass door. The cable isn't long enough to reach. I'm having an issue with the wideout solenoid clicking continually after you hit the raise button, and won't shut off until you pull the power connector. I seen the ground wasn't hooked up, so I just grounded it because it's too short to reach the batteries.
    Sorry to high-jack your thread

8. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

Good catch! That was it. I had them reversed. Good to go now. Thank you very much!

9. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Good deal. :waving:

10. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

I am surprised I did not damage anything!