1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP Plus....is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by western w/lml, Sep 12, 2016.

1. western w/lml

western w/lml Junior Member

Hi everyone! I have an opportunity to purchase a mvp plus poly 7'6" v plow for ~$3500 installed.....and it is brand new. It will be used commercially, and I do understand the short comings of a 7'6" plow on a 3/4 ton truck. My question is...is it worth it and deal with a shorter plow? Has anyone put wings to extend their 7'6 to an 8'6? Opinions are appreciated, and don't be shy!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Good price but I would still not buy it for a 3/4 truck. This plow will only be 6'6" at angle and even less when scooped. Even with wings it will barley cover your tire tracks.

FredG likes this.
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If you added the wings you could get by. But personally I'd pass and find a more appropriate plow for your truck.

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had one on a 2006 F350; too short. Not only relative to covering tire tracks, but hard to get close to edges to pushsnow off (front tire slid off the road once trying to plow close to the edge; 3' drop off).

Was going to add wings, but Western doesn't make wings for the 7.6' blade because evidently the weight eould be too much

Traded it for an 8.6' mvp; much better (added wings to that too).

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Welcome to the site. It comes down to this, buy the right tool for the job.

FredG likes this.
  6. western w/lml

Okay. The group has spoken! Would it be wise to purchase this plow in an effort to sale it myself? Is there a big demand for 7'6" plows out there?

7. JustJeff

No. Not at all.

8. Randall Ave

If there was a big demand, would it be on sale?

9. western w/lml

Let me rephrase the question. Would it be wise to purchase this plow to sell to someone else. Do 7'6" plows sell for ~$3500 when the snow starts flying? Remembering that the whole setup installed would be roughly $3500. I could keep the truck mount,controls, and isolation module to be used for a wider western. I have decided it is the plow company I wish to stay with.

10. JustJeff

No. Not at all.

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

It's a good price, but I wouldn't risk it just for an investment.

12. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Haha. For some reason that made me laugh.

Anyway, the only guys using (for the most part) 7.5' blades are guys with half tons and that plow is too heavy for that. I could be wrong here, but I didn't think you could put wings on poly plows? My vote is to not buy it also.

JustJeff likes this.
  13. kimber750

Western wings attach to the frame work of the plow unlike Pro Wings that went through the moldboard. This makes it possible to put wings on their poly plows.

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I think you will have a tough time getting your money back for just the blade. It might happen, but you will need to find your village idiot. And typically those idiots need the mounts, wiring, controller also...

I just picked up a 1 season old MVP 3 - 9'6" Steel. Mounts, wiring, controller included... not installed as you are getting, But gave $3800 for it. When the weather is warm, they don't being much, when the weather starts to change, they bring better, but as said above a 7'6" is a tough move in a v plow as they are really only good for half tons, and typically people plowing with 1/2 tons are not in desperate need of a v plow.

15. Randall Ave

7 1/2s around here don't sell for much. And you would have to purchase two plows. Do you have that much cash sitting around? Just get the correct plow, and mabey invest in some spare parts.

16. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Learn new things everyday. Thanks for the correction Thumbs Up

17. kimber750

One thing thou is I don't think Western lists one for the 7'6" v plows, if they are like Fisher. Part #s are same 8'6" and 9'6" but there is no listing for 7'6". Never had to worry about it since I don't know anyone who has bought a 7'6" v plow. :hammerhead:

18. western w/lml

Sounds great guys! I'll avoid at all costs. The other plow offered is a 8'6" SS Western MVP3......now to get the wife onboard

19. JustJeff

If that was an option I don't know why you considered the 7'-6" to begin with. The second one is a much better option.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  20. western w/lml

Oh about 2500 reasons.