1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP plus fleet flex losing connection

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LapeerLandscape, Feb 26, 2016.

1. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I keep losing communication at the light harness plug on my MVP plus fleet flex. Red light on the controller flashes I get out and wiggle the plug and the plow works again. Is there any fix for this other than changing a harness. The truck side harness was new this year. The plow side has the pins.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have used a pick to close up the non pin side of the plugs tons of times before.

If you don't know what I mean, I can take a picture and post.

Just stick it between the plastic and the metal and push a little. It will slightly close up the gap and make the connection on the pin side tight again.

3. LapeerLandscape

I know exactly what you are saying and will give it a try. I was also thinking of zip tying them together but they arent really seperating.

4. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Interesting... I'm having the same issue but with the plug that controls the pump. Works fine all night and then one drop of the plow and the connection is lost. Just hear a clicking sound at the pump. Get out, jiggle it a bit, and it works again. This morning after sitting it worked for 5 mins and then it took quite a bit of farting around with the plug to get it to work again. Been fine since.

I guess I will try the above suggestion. Makes sense. It is def a connection issue.

5. LapeerLandscape

I think I figured mine out. The plugs were not going together all the way. The strap that holds the little cover for the plug was on the part where they go together and it should be up on the shoulder. Now you can feel it kinda snap together.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That black plastic loop that holds the plug cover on should be in the groove just behind the step in the rubber of the plug. If it is in front of the step it will prevent the plug from fully seating. They can be a bugger to get in. I us a bit of dielectric grease and a tiny flat screwdriver to get them so actually drop into the groove. Putting dielectric grease in the plug can also help with keeping the plugs securely connected. it seals the plug boots and kind of creates a vacuum which keeps the plugs together.

7. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Cleaned all the connections (again) and spread open the male side of the connectors, then regreased (dielectric, of course) and plugged back together... seemed to be the fix. Simple fix... thank goodness! Snow is on the way!

8. LapeerLandscape

Good deal, pretty sure mine is fixed too.

9. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Looks like we will find out tomorrow if we truely fixed them. I'm pretty confident that they are... again, simple fix for a simple connection problem. Good luck tomorrow! :waving:

10. LapeerLandscape

I am hoping we wont have to plow until late tuesday night/early wednesday morning, probably wont happen. The guys are out putting down a good pre-salt tonight. I just dont like plowing during the day, too many idiots.

Good luck with the plow.

11. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Well, I must say... not one issue with connectivity last night/this morning. Opening that 'pin' seemed to do the trick. Onward! Hope all went well with you, Lapeer. Thumbs Up

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Good to hear you got it!

13. LapeerLandscape

I had a hand full of loss connections. Better take another look at it.