1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP plus CRACKED!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Nfiore89, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Nfiore89

Nfiore89 Junior Member

My buddy just noticed this on my plow.. has anyone had this problem before? if so is it covered under warranty? plow is only a year and half old.. I just emailed western waiting for a response.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.JPG

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Last season My bolts got loose some how and started to crack but I seen it in time before it got bad This season I fix it
    Mine was under warranty to but was way to easy to fix have to drive 70 miles to the dealer

3. Nfiore89

Nfiore89 Junior Member

This must be pretty common on these plows. All that weight sitting on those bars can't be good. How did you fix it? just reinforce it and welds?

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I v the crack out and weld it mine wasnt as bad as urs But do keep eye on it now after each snow event thats been 3 hasn t crack anymore
    With you see what the dealer says They wont fix it then you will need add new steel
    Its a stress point

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's nothing new. It's been a problem for many years.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Yup that's a common thing. I think warranty is two seasons so they should give you a new light tower. If not they can be rewelded pretty easily. I think the problem is that when they are assembled and these two bottom bolts on each side are tightened, the tube actually crushes a bit. This cracks the paint and they begin to rust. As mentioned above, all the weight of the blade is born by these two points through the chain, lift frame etc and down the line to this point. There is a lot of stress and if you drive over a lot of speed bumps or ruff roads at speed then this is inevitable.

7. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

This is how i have fixed both of my ultramounts. Havnt had one problem since!

I know i need to touch the paint up :D

photo(2).jpg

photo(3).jpg

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes Western generally covers that. they also came up with a reinforcement kit, which is included with the new upper lift frame (light tower), but you can also buy it separately, if for some reason you can't get warranty. the part number on the reinforcement kit is 69716.
    hope that helps.
    Neal Redding, parts mgr, Truck Equipment Inc Des Moines IA

9. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

Western denied my warranty when mine cracked, I "ABUSED" it, Imagine that. Maybe i just had bad luck with then, Buy i think they are giving the reinforcement kit away to help with that. My dealer handed me one when i was there, I installed it even tho i have those plates welded on, Ill take anything free from western for all the problems ive had with my ultramounts.

10. Nfiore89

Nfiore89 Junior Member

Just left the western dealer. They said it was an installer error and was out of warranty but since the place that i bought if from had numerous amounts of these returned for the same problem they warrantied it out of date.. i got really lucky. The place i took it too has seen so many of these come back from the place where i bought if from the owner was pissed bc he keeps having to fix there F*** ups.. i will let you know what the new kit looks like.

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Has nothing to do with an installer error, unless you consider the engineer that designed it to be the installer.

It's a piss poor, weak design. All you have to do is look at the thickness of the tube and what it is supporting.

Glad they're fixing it for you.

12. Nfiore89

Nfiore89 Junior Member

I completely agree with you that it is a really dumb design but it is also due to the installer.. By over tightening the bolts.