1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WESTERN MVP plus 8'6 Vplow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by saltheump, Nov 29, 2012.

1. saltheump

saltheump Junior Member

I have a weird question I am asking because it drives me crazy. I have trucks Chevy 2500 3/4 ton 8 ft boxes SILV/SIERRAS 2008, 2010, AND 2012 WITH THE WESTERN 8'6 MVP VPLOWS that I drive however it seems as all of the plows seem to ride really low does any one know the height of the blade from the ground in a normal straight forward position. I have timbren packages on all but STILL they all seem to have lower clearances that most plows I am used to in past years. I can't seem to get an actual answer from my installers.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

GM products are usually quite low but with the Timberins it should not be a problem. From the top of the reciever there should never be less than 13". See page 6, pivot plate configuration chart: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/44229.07_061510.pdf
    This shows where to measure from. You can elevate your front end to any height within the range of the table and then set the plow to the configuration that corresponds. Understand that no matter how high the truck is the A-frame will still be the same distance from the ground; however, the recievers and mount will be higher. Lots of people in my areas buy some little device from Napa that allows them to adjust their torsion bars beyond the normal range to get their front ends higher. I have reconfigured lots of them after the lift was done. Notice that on the table that the range is between 13 and 19 inches.

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

did you crank up torsion bars any?

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know last chevy I installed a plow on it set level it had the timbren and soon lift plow up the truck went down it wasnt my truck Why I have fords didnt have do nothing to front ends

On the MPV has the stacking stops you running them on the plow if so it wont lift very high with them on
    I removed mine on my MVP and on my pro plus plows

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  5. mishnick

I have never personally done it but I have shown people where to do it. Look at the rear end of the torsion bar and you will see an adjustment bolt. But you need to jack up the truck and unload the front suspension completly. Then you need a big snipe or a good impact as these bolts are tight mothers. I am told that Napa sells some sort of kid that makes this easier. Perhaps it's a replacement adjuster or something. The guy who told me about it brought up his front end more than four inches. It was too much, he said after taking the plow off the front end was like a rock and had to back it down again. Too bad you couldn't have some sort of pneumatic thing that you could air up when the plow is on and then let the air out when the plow is off. I too run a Ford 550, they seem to take the plows so much better than GMs

6. Antlerart06

I know what you are talking about But the guy we installed plow for didnt want loose the ride He only plowed his house and his buisness and plow wasnt a western it was a 8ft snow dog

OP might still have the stacker stop on the plow truck may be set right the plow will only lift so high

7. mishnick

Even if he does have stacking stops on the plow, taking them off will not increase your ground clearance, that only lifts the plow higher but not the mounts.

8. Antlerart06

I have a weird question I am asking because it drives me crazy. I have trucks Chevy 2500 3/4 ton 8 ft boxes SILV/SIERRAS 2008, 2010, AND 2012 WITH THE WESTERN 8'6 MVP VPLOWS that I drive however it seems as all of the plows seem to ride really low does any one know the height of the blade from the ground in a normal straight forward position. I have timbren packages on all but STILL they all seem to have lower clearances that most plows I am used to in past years. I can't seem to get an actual answer from my installers

He didnt say the mount He said the plow rides low and them Stacking stops will make the plow ride low and if he doesnt have them then he needs look at truck front end

9. mishnick

Sorry if I didn't read this correctly. If you are asking about the height of the cutting edge of the plow when in raised position that;s a different story. MVP+ it is obviously an ultra-mount which requires the stacking stops only for configuration 2 and 3 The plow usually comes up at least a foot off the ground from the bottom of the cutting edge to the ground that is. If the chains are adjusted correctly most plows will pull up to the bottom edge of the Nighthawks. If the plow obscures your headlights in the highest position you might need the stacking stops.

Another thing to consider is how much your plow lifts the back end of the truck. If your back end has too little ballast then it will sit high and prevent your plow from coming up as high as it should.

10. Antlerart06

I would remove the stacking stops I found out on my 8.5 pro plus it wouldnt lift very high
    When I installed my Mvp I didnt bolt them on
    I run a 8'' tall cutting edge and V back and up My blade is 8'' off the ground I still drag when I pull in dip drives I get use to it You when bump it out