1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP Joystick Control.. Is it a PITA?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Northland, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Northland

Northland Senior Member

First off I a huge fan of both Western and Boss plows. Both great equipment if you ask me. I am debating between a Western MVP and a Boss V and though I love the idea of the trip edge on the Western as well as some of the other features (pro plus wings as one of em)... Western has come a ways in the last year or two with the MVP I just cant get past the joystick control.

I am partial to joystick controls.... I love the Boss joystick. The western just looks like a PITA. Not very user friendly. The cab command looks better but for some reason I just like joysticks. Im probably being stupid here. Lemme know what you guys think obout the Western Joysticks.

2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

If It were me I would go for the other kind that they offer...I like tha way that you can have It In your right hand while your shifting gears and still work the plow...Go with the one with the red buttons on It.

3. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

I Have a Western V and use the joystick. I have many plows and plowed for many years , this controller by far is the best to use. :salute:

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

another vote for the western joystick.

Atleast for me, my plowing is way more efficient with a joystick. And time is money.

With the joystick in your hand you can still shift gears, etc... and youi can adjust the plow at anytime because it's always in your hand and ready to go.

5. Greenscape4u.co

hey Mike , how do you have your controller mounted ? I had to use a Boss bracket to mount mine on the window because Western at the time didn't offer one ??

6. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Dont have either right now. Im looking at a Boss or an MVP. Kinda leaning towards the Boss though...

7. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I'm the odd man out here:waving: ...I bet you guys who like the joyy sticks,like hand controls on a skid steer...For me ...I like the foot controls on a skid steer.
    With the cab command control...after a while you dont have to look at It...something like the joy stick..you just feel the buttons.
    Another thing that you can do Is just get the two controllers...keep one for a spare...then you will know for sure whitch one that you like the best...In any event best of luck this winter with your new V.
    Daner

8. Greenscape4u.co

My Skidder is a New Holland LS 185b two speed with the foot controls , its all I know. Isn't hand controls hard on the obvious ? hands ? fatigue factor over long hours. Daner you gettin snow , calling for 2 - 4 here in Kitchener :waving:

9. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I cant stand the hand controls on the the Bobcats... Takes me forever to get used to them.. I hafta re learn them everytime I get in the dang thing... :)

10. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

I might be in the minority here as well but I sure like the button controler on the flex cord. Easy to get use to and you can keep it in your hand and activate a blade motion while shifting.

11. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Here's a response I posted to a similar question in Feb 06

I have a 9.5' Western V that I purchased in Jan '04 and it's mounted on an '02 F450 Crew Dually. What sold me on the plow was the Ultra Mount. I can have in on in about a minute. No kidding. Second, the V cuts my plow time, considerably. I have not had one problem with the plow and would highly recommend it. I did purchase the new controller that just came out this (last) year and makes it a lot easier to maneuver the plow. Instead of pushing buttons twice to Vee or Scoop, they added individual buttons for those actions. Much easier to use! Hope that helps. Good luck in your purchase.

PS: I mounted the controller to the left of the steering wheel on the dash and it's perfect for manuevering the plow while steering / changing gears. Like others have said, you get used to it pretty quickly and soon you won't even have to look at it to operate it. With the raised buttons, you can tell which button you need for which action. I still love this plow and I recommend Western to anyone who asks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006