1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western mvp install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Team_Arctic, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

Well i am new here, and i have found that the fourms and great ways to learn info with a first hand knowledge, i am members at about 10 of them already.

so here is my question.

I just ordered a new mvp 8.5 foot steel blade for a 2003 chevy 2500hd diesel . i have been told install takes from 1.5 hours to 8 hours, the guy at western told me about 5 hours?

is it hard?
    special tools?

help full hints?

thanks

danny

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to the site...assembly of the plow and installing the mount on your truck is a piece of cake. I did that part all by myself but I did not feel comfortable installing the wiring harness. I had a professional wire it up and I paid him whatever his hourly rate was to have it done right. Not sure if that answers your question but I would suggest only doing as much as you're comfortable with.

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just like Camden said...its cake.

You don't need nothing special but a multi meter helps when doing the harness. There isn't really anything difficult on a Chevy. Just take your time and follow the instructions down to the letter. I did my second MVP in about 8 hours by myself....Chevy mounts on the truck side are not bad at all.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I believe it's unit assembly then truck mount. Figure about 8 hours total with a friend at times. OR you could pay the $300 or $400 and have them install it.

5. Team_Arctic

i orded the plow off the net shipped freight to my door, i called the dealer about puting it in( chevy dealer, also western dealer) and they really didnt want to put it on because i didnt make them the extrap buck by buying it from them so i just figured id tackle it my self, i was a mechanic at a shop for 2-3 years and i live on a farm so i figured it shouldnt be that bad, the place i bought it from said it was mostly put to gether and the wire harness was plug and play so i hoping it not to bad

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Just set aside a day, have a friend on call for extra hands ... instructions are not bad and there are a number of installers on this site and westerns tech support is actually pretty good.

7. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

The hardest part is setting the head gear on the a-frame. It is a very heavy part and you have to line up 3 holes on each side so an extra set of hands would be nice!

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

last one I did took under 30 minutes to install plow mount: very easy on chevys, both sides are seprate so total weight you have to hold up is about 15lbs with one hand and slide a bolt through the pre-drilled holes.

Wiring is simple also this takes about 1 hour, maybe 2-3 if it is your first one: three wires to splice (4 if you always want you headlights on, I don't ever hook up DRL's) then connect the fool proof headlight connectors (4 total) send a wire up into the cab for the controler, and pull the red fused wire over to the fuse box. Tag that on with a fuse tap to the wiper fuse (25amp inside the drivers door) this will shut the controler off when the truck is not running.

That is it. You might have to adjust the plow to hit your plow mount shoes, that is covered in the manual for how to re-angle the plow and rasie and lower the plow to hit your truck correctly.

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  10. GETSOME!

GETSOME! Junior Member

A day's worth of work and a case of your favorite brew!

11. Team_Arctic

thanks guys. im gonna attempt to put it on tommarow i took off work for the day so i should be able to get it done.

12. Team_Arctic

well i got it on took about 5 hours or so, biggest problem was getting the plow put together the center pin was a pain in the ass, and i only have 2 problems with it, when i use the right turn signal all is good but when i use the left turn signal both signals come on, 2nd problem the o rings on the bottom of the angle rams keep leaking? i have changes them 2 times now and it seems to have worked any suggestions?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you connected the brown maker wire to the lt blue left turn wire on the truck.