1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP harness pins

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Welps, my plow's right wing is all messed up. I noticed 2 of the pins on the harness broke off & 1 other is loose (wiggles arround). It's not really corroded as I load the thing with dieletric grease everytime I disconnect it. Just wondering if anyone else with this connector having this problem?
    It's gunna be fun getting the broken pins outta the truck side.
    Plow still is under the 2yr warranty but it's gunna be hard being a eletrical item & no one really wants to deal with a new customer's problems. As I bought the thing 1hr away. $59 for a new repar type connector.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Warranty is warranty, let them fix it. The repair kit should come with the new plug in, so it should just be a matter of cutting and splicing.
  3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree with Dino, it doesn't sound like a very complicated or costly fix.
  4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Welps after calling every dealer in the area today. Here's an update.

#1, Western dealer refuses to even look at a plow installed by another dealer # was downright rude on the phone, just the way he said what he said. I asked him how much he wanted for the plow end harness. "umm, I think it's arround $75 for a repair harness", Do you have them in stock "Umm, I dunno we usually have most parts"...

#2, The guys on the other line I'll have him call ya back. calls back "Yeah we have them in stock, sure I'll take a look at the old one". So I go there & the guys like "eletric connection, nope usually not covered but I'll take a look." We go out there I take it apart he looks from about 5ft away & says "nope not covered"
    ok, so how much for a new connector "hang on I'll see if we have any, we don't normally stock them" ya said ya did on the phone.
    comes back & says "nope we dont have any but we can get them in a couple days" how much? "They run arround $112" WOW, thats a lot. "How much did you think they were?" Well I can get them online for about $50 "haha, oh really" yeah really "well, why dont you get it from them" becasue YOU said you had them in stock & it's suposed to snow in the next few days... "Oh I see"...
    So I leave... 15 min later the guy calls me & tells me he found 2 of them in stock & can sell them for $60... Told him nevermind...

#3, "Hang on I'll check" comes back "yep 2 in stock both ends are $110" only need the one end "ok one end is $58", Where exactly are you located? "Oh no, we are outside of Syracuse NY, I could UPS it next day for you" Syracuse? I called a local # & it's listed as local" oh no were in Saracuse now"... umm ok, explane this?

#4 "Nope just put an order in today for them, sold a lot of them latley, call back on friday"

#5 "Nope don't carry them, but you sould try calling these places" Yeah I did no one else does or are just clueless.

#5 "Yeah it shows we have them" can you please physcally walk back there & check, he comes back to the phone "Yeah, have one in my hand right now" good how much "about $50" ok, great I'll be there tomarrow... these guys have always been great but are about 1hr away. Oh well I'm willing to travel for the right parts at the right price & most importantly good service.

All this for a friggin connector? I could care less about the Warranty, just thought i'd give it a shot.
    What really bugs me is the additude of people today, not a good way to gain new customers.

and what the heck is up with #3, call forwarding to another/new location in Syracuse? I just dont get this one....
  5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

It sounds like a good dealer is pretty hard to come by in your area.
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

ok another update, Here's the real scoop.
    It's not a big deal but it just frustrates me & makes me think twice about my next purchase. Don't get me wrong my plow itself is great...

Got the broken pins out & called up #5 to make sure thay had em.
    Turns out the other guy this morning took em all & shipped them out 2hrs away because of someone else in need.
    Told me I couldnt get one untill friday.
    So none for me...

I gave Western customer service a call & asked about the dealers.

Apparenty there are only 2 Western Authorized dealers in the 716 area code. Emerling Chevrolet & Uni-cell. The other guys who claim to be and advertise that they are, are really only subcontractors to one of the other two.

This is apparently how they are allowed to use the "authorized dealer" title. Even tho Western does not have any information on them, dosnt even know who they are or can do anything about their additudes.

#1 & #2 are subcontractors to #4.

Western has #3 listed as being in the other 1/2 of the state as well as local. Thay were un aware that the local guy closed up shop & had the line forwarded to the other place.

So looking thru the "other" phone book I saw a little add for Western parts. I call the guy up & he has one in stock & is holding it for me. I'm going out that way later on so I'm gunna swing buy & pick it up.... He only wants $48 for it.
    Screw the Warranty, I want my plow working properly.

I dunno if this is a common thing or not, but the whole sub contractor thing is only going to hurt Western. As one bad "dealer" can bring them down because one "good" dealer who they wouldn't want to loose, sub's the "authorized dealer" title out to some idiot who pushes a brand. This being the reason thier customer service is so bad. The origional dealer dosn't care becasue no one knows they are subs so it wont hurt thier name.

You would think it would be set up more like a regional manager type of thing, where these people are actually part of Western.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  7. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Definitly not a flawless system they have with the dealers.:rolleyes: I agree though, screw the warranty and just get it fixed. It sounds like if you did this through your warranty it would take a week or two. Atleast it's not an expensive fix.
  8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Lets just say I found one crazy guy tonight...
    He lives at his shop, well in his house attached behind the store.
    Guy is open 24/7 including holidays, as long as you call & let him know your on the way. Has tons of parts & will even do welding at 3am. He was in the process of welding a plow back together that was abused so bad it actually fell off the truck when I showed up. He also gave me 2 complete detailed part & trouble shooting books for all snow brands he deals with.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyways, let the snow start falling.

Moral of this story.
    Keep common parts stocked & hope at least 1 other supplier in the area does as well.
    Customer service & first impressions (treat me with respect & I'll do the same to you) go a long way.
    Don't just say something, explane your reasons why & ask questions.
  9. shamrock1

shamrock1 Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles, We have found that for our Western Needs, Emerling Chevy on Boston State Road, Boston , NY is our best shot for all service and parts needs.....

Gil is the Parts Mgr out there and he is a good SVC Mgr,

It's not the closest spot for many of us, especially if your are from the NorthTowns, but worth the drive if you are in a jackpot....

Curious to know where you found the guy with shop attached to house.....
  10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I used #'s so I wasnt publicly bashing anyone by name.

I bought my truck & plow origionally from Emerling. They are #5
    Right after I bought it I had problems, took it back and went over everything with the plow guy for a couple hr's to find out it was the filters & cheep factory hose clamps. My father recently bought a truck from them too because of the great customer service & the no hassle buying.

Next time I need a haness I'm prolly gunna replace both ends with a 12 pin truck type connector. or 2, 6 pins.

For some reason the repair harness had 3 ground wires instead of 3 hot so I had to change that.

Guy from Tonawanda is "Touch Of Class" on Erie Ave. He insnt an "authorized" dealer but usually has parts for Western, Fisher, Boss, Diamond, Meyer & SnoWay. He may come in handy in a pinch.