1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP(8.5') Or Pro Plow(8')?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BASIC, Jan 19, 2003.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

Hi guys,I know the V or straight question has been covered before and I have done the search,I would just like to ask the question for my particular situation.I'll be buying a plow for my 99 Ford F-350 PSD 4X4 6-speed truck this summer(better prices)for a start up snowplow/lawn care buisness,I'd like any suggestions,if you would please on the plow type V or straight?I'll be doing mostly residential and some light commercial accounts to start.Either way I'm going to buy a Western,theres a great dealer in my area.I did ask the dealer his opinion,he said the V plows are great but they really come into their own when doing large commercial accounts and that for what I'll be doing an 8' Pro plow might be the best choice.The last big snow we had,I looked around my area to see if I could see any V plows working,not one they were all straight plows.I've read on the forum that plow brands might be regional ,are plow types also?If I do get the MVP am I going to have more problems learning to operate it with a manual transmision in my truck?Are V plows as reliable and durable as straight plows?Is the extra weight of a V plow an issue?The dealer also said if I want the MVP wait,because an Ultramount will be out in the summer.Thankyou all again for any suggestion you may make.BASIC

Last edited: Jan 19, 2003
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Basic,I live in an area with 99% straight blades too_On the advice,and recommendation of fellow plowsite members,I went for a V plow.I got to tell you,the V has been one of the best things I had ever bought.It has saved me a lot of time,an average 1 hr account could be dropped to 40 minutes.I can get my route done a few hrs faster now,so i added a few accounts and make more $$.I love how the v transports with both wings back,truck runs cooler,and it is easier to manuever with my 9'2"V than my 7.5 straight blade.The feature you will use the most is the scoop position,you can clean up dribble fast,and boy can these thing stack snow high with it scooped.My piles are 2 ft taller on average than with my straight blade,and the truck isnt going any further up the bank.The Western V has a good record for durablity,and reliablity.The only downsides to the V are they do not cast quite as good as a straight blade,and the cutting edges are slightly more $$,but these are greatly overshadowed by the productivity increase.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Since we don't get a lot of snow here in NJ we are behind the 8-ball as far as using newer (though this is not really new) technologies in our snow removal operations. So there aren't many people with V-plows around yet. I am finally seeing lots of people figure out snow pushers exist & they are starting to be seen everywhere these days. I have yet to see another U-edge bsides mine, and on some pushers that an out of town compnay uses. So it will be hard to get a real world opinion from people you know in NJ on using V-plows. On that note, the opinions of those here using them are certainly worth it, and can certainly substitute for opinions from local users. I'm not sure that a V-plow would make a big difference over a straight blade for driveways, but for any commercial application (small & large) they are definitely the way to go IMO. Good luck.

4. farmertim

farmertim Member

In NW wisconsin EVERBODY went to V plows except me.
    They all love em and everything in the thread so far has been repeated over here.
    I don't run one because my truck is to old to handle the weight and I hear that the ply V plows don't scrape as well as the steel version if the snow is packed hard.
    I don't run one also for the fact I have a 100 HP loader tractor to stack the snow when things get tight and to widen the roads out with my big V plow, but the guys who have one say they can role the banks back pretty well with their V plow.
    Boss is the most popular but i like the blade hieght of the western if I had my choice.
    Tim

5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

BASIC,

You bring up a good question!

If you are the same person that asked the plow question over at TDS.com(I believe you are), you know how I feel about the V:D

I have an auto. I run the handheld control and shift with my right hand and drive with my left. I will say, it takes quite a bit of thought and practice to get proficient at utilizing all the different modes. After some practice, you will be able to run it as "thoughtless" as a straight blade though. Throw in shifting a manual, and at first, you may go into "brain warp":confused:

Maybe some guy's with sticks will chime in.

I'm seeing more and more V's around here. In fact, some guy showed up in my little "hillbilly" town with a truck and plow EXACTLY like mine:realmad: It's even white!

Greg

6. EIB

EIB Senior Member

This is my fourth season on my MVP. No problems with it at all. I use to have a Fisher straight blade, before the MVP. I will never go back to a straight blade. As far as working better in large lots, that is true, but it works just as good in tight areas. I plow two car dealers on my route. With the blade in the scoop position I can move the snow from between the cars. It works the same in apt. complexes. I haven't seen anything better, but I'm looking at the Blizzard plow real close. The jury is still out on them. First thing is I need a dealer closer than 1hr drive from me.

7. fordman

fordman Senior Member

BASIC
    If you have the extra $$ for a V plow you should get one. Think about it, a V plow can be used just like a straight blade and do everything a straight blade can and then some. You say your doing mainly residential right now but who knows about the future. A V plow is really like two plows in one and IMO it will pay for itself in no time. A V plow may cost more up front but in the long run you'll be able to make more $$$ with a V then you could with a straight blade.
    Just my 2 cents.

8. KenP

KenP Senior Member

V-Plow there is no substitute!!! First year with the MVP plowed for 15 with a str8 blade, WILL NEVER GO BACK. Considering to outfit my other three trucks with them, I will most likely go with a set of wings first. I think I'm going to be slapping a u-edge from Dino on my MVP in the next week or two, just to see how they work. I've read V-plows are 20% faster(once you get through the learning curve) and I know they bring more money if you're going to be a sub. If money isn't an issue and you buy a str8 blade, your next step is to make a vist to your shrink to get your head exmined. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong!!!!!!

Best of luck,

9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless there is a lot of commercial involved...go with the straight blade. Extra weight, parts, cost, is always a factor. For a start-up bus. go with an 8 ft. 8 1/2 if you have a dually. Ultra-mounts seem to be a good design!!

10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i would go with a straight blade.you can't do much with a V on res.when you get to doing more comm then res i would move up to a V or a blizzard once they work out the bugs.fisher makes a 8 1/2 straight blade also that would work mint on that setup.i use a 7.6 for drives 8.0 and bigger for commercial.if things work out well the rest of this winter and spring i will be buying a blizzard 8611.just gotta see if i can hang it on my f350 dump or i may sell one of my f250s and get a new f550.

11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

If you go with a Western ...Pay the extra $$ for the
    Cab COMMAND controller ! They are the best......
    My last western lasted 10 hard NY winters ! And
    now works still on my buds 94 Chevy !
    ............geo

Last edited: Jan 20, 2003
  12. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I have had my Ultramount MVP since November, so your dealer should be able to get them.

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We have 2 MVPs , one on a stick. You get used to it real quick. Get the v plow if you can afford it. If you have only one plow, make it a v. I used the different positions all the time on residential, and commercial. You cannot truly understand the value till you own and operate one. Even if you use the v plow as a straight plow 95% of the time, its the other 5% that really pays off.
    Dino

14. BASIC

BASIC Member

Thankyou all for the great response.Dockboy,I'm the same guy.BRL we do get a fair ammount of snow in Sussex county,about 40+" so far.When the V plow is in the transport position is the hinge more vulnerable to damage in a motor vehicle accident?Your Comments on the V plow are winning me over.I'm sure the straight plow would work fine initially but hopefully as I start getting more and larger accounts,the V plow will pay for itself.Thankyou all for your kind help.BASIC

15. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Give me an automatic transmission and a straight plow anyday over a manual transmission.

V-plow or not, I'll have more earnings every winter.

16. KenP

KenP Senior Member

V-PLOW
    V-PLOW
    V-PLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

17. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

If you have the money GO WITH the VPLOW

18. captjack

captjack Member

How about a straight plow with a set of turk-key wings?

Easy opperation, less moving parts to break,

Way cheaper.

Just my .02

Jack

19. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Just have to say again, I've had no problems with my MVP and it is on it's 4th season.

20. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

OK i have to post cause i have the 2 things he is asking about.
    1. mvp plow with uedge, prior to that i used 7'6" snoway. i will not go back to using straight blade. i don't get mike9497's comment about buying a straight blade then when you get more comm.accounts move up to a v plow. Why in the heck would you tell him to spend his money foolisly? buy one plow 1 time and make it the v plow!
    2. stick shift diesel... ya during long plowing times the old knee gets sore but i live with my stick cause it's what i wanted. and latley with the terrible winters we've had its' not even a concern.
    the other thing that lets me plow as fast as a auto is the shift pattern of the tranny and the fact that the plow controler is mounted to the stick so i can work the plow and the stick at the same time....2nd to rev. to 2nd to rev. only downfall is the slower backup speed of the stick.. i think revved out it only does 15mph in rev. but fast enough to bend my spreader chute!!
    dan

Last edited: Jan 22, 2003