1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MVP 3 at work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by truckitup, Mar 18, 2014.

1. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

This is my new, MVP 3 with wings at work. Put about 200+ hours on it. No problems yet. Went though two cutting edges, just ordered the third one.

Western MVP.jpg

MVP3.jpg

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

3 cuttings edges with over 200+ hours, isnt that a little quick? or is the mvp3 cutting edges different from straight baldes? Btw looks great!!!

3. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

The factory cutting edge is only 3/8 thick only lasted about a month and a half. That is my only complaint about the plow. With the wings on it is about 1,100 LBS and I plow some big parking lots. The second lasted all the way till now. It is 1/2 inch thick. The third I have not installed yet, want it on hand the way this winter has been I will be plowing in May.

4. snowish10

You would think the factory would put thicker cutting edges on.

5. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Your not kidding, I complained to western about it and they said (we sell the replacement that is 1/2 thick) It should last longer.

6. snowish10

7. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Where is the OLDDOGG when ya need him to chime in YOHOOOOOO PAT

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

How do the center cutting edge pieces fit? Did you find there was an overly large gap that lets snow through like the plus? Are the holes in the center pieces slotted and adjustable on the 3 or are they round and fixed in one place so you can't get rid of the gap?

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If hes doing larger lots than I can see a couple edges a season. Hopefully he was smart enough to put on the 1/2" ones.

10. woody617

woody617 Member
    from pa

Looking into a new plow currently have a 7.5 Myers md2 works good for me 10 years old never a problem. Looking into a new Myers mv2 or western MVP 3 . Any imput on this would help me make up my mind . A Meyers dealer/ repair shop is closer then western one is . Also Myers is offering 5 year warranty now.

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Meyer is fine now. Nice warranty

Western is fine too.

12. woody617

woody617 Member
    from pa

Thanks wiffyspark I have been reading on here for a while , so much to read into . I always thought to go with what's close and easy to fix because all plows break . The repair shop that I would use is always open during times when it is needed most . And there has been a lot of bashing on Meyers I guess I got lucky with mine . Aparently they had some bad years , guessing to get customers back they are offering this warranty .

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

People bash on Meyers that have never owned them or take care of them.

E47/60 had a rap rep cause people never took care of them and expected them to work all the time. They needed maintenance and were simple to fix when something happened.

They now use monarch pumps with a 5 year warranty. Awesome plows.

There's a guy on here that carries everyone plow brand at his shop. His personal truck he put a Meyer on. That says something to me

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Do you adjust the plow after the you wear half the edge off

Whats the edge costing you + the wing poly edges

15. 05ram

05ram Member

Do you have any videos of the plow in action? Looking to buy over the summer

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Thank Denny

I just sat down over the weekend and figured out all my hours and expenses. I'm close to 300 hours, figured at least 150 hours plowing snow plus another easy 50 60 take care of unbillable. when I sold my MVP 3 9-6 with the 1/2 cutting edge. 3/4's of inch was worn off. my stainless steel plowis only worn a half inch in 2 years

17. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Thats pretty quick to wear out a fes edges. What kind of lotx u do? How large?

18. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I did have a little gap in the center with the four peace cutting edge, I took a my drill press and made the slots a little bigger that helped. I got them about as close as you can, and yes I did put the 1/2 inch cutting edge on.

The wing cutting edges are $100 each from Western.

I see a lot of people here are surprised that I went though two cutting edges, If the factory one lasted longer it only would of been one and a half.

I plowed my commercials over 30 times this year, plus clean up's with a 5.5 hour turn. I plow about 4-5 acres per trip that is a lot of pushing snow. In turn many cutting edges.

Every one has a different type of work they do so cutting edges will last longer or shorter depending on what type of work they do. If you have a mix of Drive Ways and Commercial it will last longer. If you live where it only snow 30" it will last longer When you have Customers with 0 tolerance in a place where it snows 100+ inches of snow a year you will go though them. The salt shortage this year did not help any. We all know that.

19. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I New MVP 3 makes it easy about 10 min and you can have it adjusted. It adjusts by removing the two bolts on the rear cross bar and then I put a floor jack under it and either go up or down so that the plow sits level.

It is a great improvement over the MVP plus. The four piece cutting edge is $404 delivered to house and the wings edges are $100 each delivered to the house.

20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My MVP+ has that. Quick change unless going from config 2 to 3.