1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western mvp 12 pin older plow will not angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mikeitu7, Jan 4, 2015.

1. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

I have an older Unimount mvp that goes up and down will scoop and v but will not angle any help would be great thanks

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would start with a different controller, sounds to me like most of the valves are working if it Vs, scoops, lifts and drops. Probably the controller is failing to send signals to the valves to do the angle move. I know that controller is about $500 here in Canada so it's probably expensive there too. Would be nice to borrow one to test before spending the cash. You can open those controllers and clean the copper contacts on the curcuit board with a pencil erasor or scotch guard pad and then wash it off with contact cleaner or brake clean, finally blow it off with compressed air. It may be that simple.

3. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

When I hit the left button the plow goes up

4. mishnick

If it goes up when you hit left it's a valve problem. This specific error suggests that the S2 valve is not moving and the S3 is stuck in the active position.... Is it possible that you had the valve covers off and got some wires switched around? S2 and S3 are right beside each other. I am just guessing here, I would expect other problems if those two vales were failing because they have to work for numerous other actions...
    Once again I am leaning toward the controller as the simplest thing to try before you start pulling valves. The controller could be sending mixed signals to the valves but each button could be bad in it's own way.

Try another controller.

Here is a link to the mechanic's guide, look at page 37 for an hydraulic overview.
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/28270.00_070105.pdf

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  5. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Thanks will try that tomorrow

6. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Tried new controller still does the same thing

7. mishnick

If the controller has been eliminated you need to get into the valves. Go through every function and make a list of what works correctly and what function does not, record what the bad functions actually do too. Once you have your list look at the hydraulic valve table in the mechanic's guide for each of the failing functions and see which valve all those failing functions have in common. Once you have a suspect take the valve covers off and ensure that both wires are connected securely to the coil. If that's OK try hot-wiring the coil to see if you can hear it click. Your old uni MVP has a constant positive to all the coils when the plow is connected and the truck ignition is on so you can just turn the ign on and then ground out the cold side of the coil. You should see a little spark and hear a distinct click. There is no danger of the pump motor spinning when you do this so don't worry about getting squished behind the plow.

When you find the valve or valves that are bad they come out kinda like spark plugs. First you take the nut off that holds the coil, slide off the coil and then a deep socket will remove the valve. Be sure the plow is on the ground so there is no pressure on any of the valves or it could drop on your toes. Careful not to over torque the valve or the coil nut and keep things clean & dry. The valves are not cheap, here in Canada they range from about $60 to $150 depending on the complexity of the individual valve.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Sorry was tied up earlier but got it going had a spare pump and changes out valve s3 and works fine now

Thank you very much for your help