1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western MPV from Ford to Dodge installation question?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kgb, Nov 28, 2005.

1. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Hi!
    Just got used MPV Unimount 8 1/2' but she was mounted on Ford 250 (2000). Anyway, to make a long story short, I have Dodge 2500 (2005) Cummins. Can I still re-use Ford's mount and wire harness or I have to get a new one to fit Dodge? Does anyone have scematic or any suggestions/tricks how to and what to....? Or maybe someone has what I need and need my stuff- lets trade/swap.... I'm bit familiar with Meyers, installed few myself, but this is newer truck and Western plow.
    Thanx,
    I hope everyone had a GREAT HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinkup:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You will need a new mount which only comes in the ultra for the 05 dodge and a conversion kit that goes from the ultra mount to the uni blade. You will also need a new wiring harness and a new set of headlights if the plow is set up for relays, if its set up for the iso system you should be able to reuse the harness from the ford but will need to check the harness to see what lights its wired for and the configuration of the harness (both can be changed though)

3. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Thanx, Crash!
    My understanding, that the frame of '05 is same as from '03, Do I still need a conversion kit? Also, how do i figure out harness, what to look for if I can reuse it or not?
    Thanx so much for your help.
    BTW I saw post before, something about square lights( that's what I have) Does it make a difference?
    Thanx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Crash935

The frame from the 03 is the same as the 05, and you will still need a conversion kit. I need to know how many electrical plugs are on the plow to know what harness its running. 2 plugs is the relay system, 3 plugs is the iso system. If its a relay, no go, iso we can rework.

5. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

I made few snap shots of the harness. it has 2 relays on it(taped together) is this what you are looking for or you need to know whats on the plow itself?
    Thanx!!!!!

dodge 036.JPG

6. Crash935

Nope, that answered the question. Its gonna get expensive to get this on the truck, especially if you have to buy everything new (not to scare ya)

So lets see, your going to need ,

1 mount, part # 63883 (preferably 63883-2)
    1 conversion kit (looking for that part #)
    1 set of headlights part # 64078
    1 truck side harness part # 64054

the coversion kit and truck side harness are going to be the hardest to find used, the headlights not as hard, the mount shouldnt be to bad to find.

7. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Thanx, Bud!
    Looks like I have to do some shopping....
    BTW why do I need new set of headlights, can I rewire the ones that i have?
    Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Crash935

Remember in the days when you turned on the headlight switch and it sent power to the drs side light and then the pass side, not any more, there is power to the lights now and you use the switch to "turn on" the ground, then they had some crazy idea to seperate the lights, so you now also have seperate fuses for each light with seperate wires going to each light with a wire just heavy enough to carry the load for that bulb. so now you need a set of lights that will seperate both sides of your truck.

9. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Yes, you made me think about it...
    How about if I just install simple additional switch to control the lights staright from another power feed (will find one somewere), the question is turn signals... if i can wire them paralell?

10. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Hi, Crash!!!
    Thanx for your help last night. I did some shopping for the mount, harness...ets. And I think best thing to to is to sell her to someone who has Ford, unless I will be lucky to find or trade them for some used stuff. I just had her listed here:drinkup: .
    Thanx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. hi_desert_snow

hi_desert_snow Junior Member

going thru the same thing

2003 f250 to a 2004 dodge 3500.

I'm $250 for lights
    $250 for harnesses

Called today and ordered another $180 in electrical. Have to go from 2 plug to 3 plug system

12. Crash935

KGB, You would be better off if you could go with an ultra mount, would make it easier and probalby cheaper in the long run. Let me know if i can help.

Jeff

13. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Hi, Jeff!
    Thanx!
    I may have not to bad of the deal on Boss V, I probably better off. It has all i need. I hope someone can have a use for my Western. Just trying to get what I paid for her.
    BTW that Western from a '03 f-350, do you by any chance know what other years and models she can fit to? Just in case someone ask about.

14. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Also, i still think that the harness can be modified by simply installing a switch for the light, just like in Meyers.
    And I don't think there will be a need for new set of lights.
    Plus, someone made a good point of heaving your headlights in case you have to fix something, and it happens...............I'm just not sure if it goes through or feeds the controller.

15. Crash935

That mount will fit a 99-03 F250 through F550.
    If everything is there for the boss, go for it, someone will pick up the western from you.

As for the lights, if you wanted to you could wire in a switch, but i would pick power up from the battery and not the truck lights (Truck would be ok with it at first but would take down the harness or switch after awhile). The controller doesnt have anything to do with the lights so you dont have to worry about that part.