1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western moves way too slow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gkp, Nov 26, 2008.

1. gkp

gkp Member

Hey guys I had a friend bring in a truck with a western ultra and needed new wiring on his 05 dodge...... after I installed the wiring every thing worked fine and dandy, perfect for that mater. The next morning i went to pull the truck out of the shop and now the plow moves at about 10% speed? in all directions. I drained the fluid and it was beyond nasty, worst I have ever seen. Then I found out the plow has been sitting for about 2 years.
    I am much more knowledgeable about boss plows and this western is stressing me out. any Ideas as to how to meet this demon head on? Do you need to bleed a western? What are the next steps I should take in the cure for this sick dog.

2. Yes, when you change the fluid you need to drain the motor first. Then you put the hoses in a bucket and work the blade back and forth by hand until the fluid stops coming out. Add new fluid to motor, work hoses again to get fluid going into hoses then put hoses back on the rams. Don't over fill, if you put too much fluid it can go up into the lift motor and cook it.

Other things to check is power. Check and see how many volts you are getting to the positive terminal of the lift motor. If your getting less then 12v then time to troubleshoot wiring.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the fluid looked that bad make darn sure you pull the reservoir off and clean it and the pickup screen, as thats likely why it got slow once you ran it through a few functions.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try running some Meyers Hydra-Flush through it too.