1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Mount Issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Clevername, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys - I am obviously new here and a total virgin to plowing. I have never pushed snow before except with my 18" True Value Shovel.....

I bought a used Western Plow and mount for my 1998 Chevy K1500 1/2 ton. I am only planning on doing my driveway, dads and a friend or two. I am not getting into this to make money yet this year or next....

So I am trying to figure out how to mount this mount on my truck and pretty much get it figured out. I manage to get the airdam off and break free the Tow hooks from the frame....

I grab the first part of my mount and hold it up to the holes it should mount to and notice right away that the left side of my truck frame is crooked and bent compared to the other side which is perfect and straight....

So obviously this mount will not fit flush and will not line up straight. I mean it's not even close!

So I guess I am going to have to find someone with a welder/torch and have this thing "worked" on in order to get it on my truck.

Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to correct it? Sucks cause this is the only thing keeping me from getting this plow mounted and wired.....

Any thoughts, comments and informative advise woudl be appreciated guys!

2. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Top part of my mount:

Passenger Side of my truck frame where the mount lines up like it should (and the screw that just took a chunk out of my shoulder... Damn that hurt!)

Driver Side of my truck frame. You can see how screwed up this side is....

So you can imagine how far off the holes are and if I try to line up the "bad side" how crooked the "good" side is....
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

do you have a porta power? you could get a bottle jack and a 4x4 and try to open it up a bit doesnt look that thick. good luck keep us posted
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Yup, its bent!

I would find a frame shop and have them straighten it and while they are at it, show them the mount and where it bolts up and have them do some strengthing inside the frame while they are at it. Those trucks were notorious for tearing out the bottom of the frame around the area of the tow hooks and thats where most of the stress is from that mount. Also have them check for cracks in the frame behind the upper control arm mount, do a search and you will find plent of pics of where they crack.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

childs play. just want the frame fixed and beefed, or the whole mount put on?
  6. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Well right now - I would just like the mount put on the truck...

I don't have a lot of cash to expend on it this year but will certainly look to have it improved by next year...

I had called Allied Trucking and they wanted roughly $280 to put the mount on. That was a quote they gave me on the phone and that was without knowing there were "other issues" with the frame which I am sure would have added hours to the job....

Are you saying you have the means to do this and are willing to do the work?

Whats the price and when could you do it....
  7. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

If this problem had not poped up I could have had this mount bolted on in less then 2 hours from the start of taking the Tow Hooks off....

I need to get this done ASAP as I am not going to be in town in November much....

Assuming the frame had not been jacked up - I would have simply needed to bolt on the upper section of the mount - then bolt on the lower section to that. I see there are alot of holes in the lower section, so I am assuming there is some adjustment needed to make sure you can simply drive up to the plow and hook it up. Mine is sitting on a cart with wheels, so I would have to adjust it to that height if possible I guess......

Is that about rght? I know I also need to do the wiring, so I should get an extra battery as well.....

Let me know if your willing to help me out on the frame. Whats the cost to fix and beef it up so that I can get the mount bolted on?

I am willing to help out and lend a hand where needed to save cst and learn somethign if possible.....

You can contact me here....

616-302-4534 (leave message if I don't answer and I will call you back)

Thanks Alot!
  8. no lead

call Arista Truck Systems in GR tommorow. 616 530 6000. we are in the old allied building.

better yet stop buy and let us see it. then i can tell you for sure how much to fix it right.
  9. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Thats the same number I called the other day to find out how much it would cost to have this mount put on my truck....

I was told by a close friend of mine (Chris K) to call Allied Trucking regarding my mount. Chris was going to help me put it on but has become busy and lost access to the tourch and stuff that he firgured we would need. So I called Allied because Chris figured it would only run about $100 to put the mount on, which it obviously was more then that......

Is this Arista Systems actually Allied Trucking?

I was told it would cost me $280 to put on just the mount. I can only imagine what it's going to cost me to have this issue fixed. Once I found out how much it was going to cost me - I started doing it myself with my limited tools - which brings us to the position I am in now.....

I seriously don't have a couple hundred buck to fix this right now. I am looking for someone to give me hand or do something on the side for me for now...

Do you have a "idea" of what it might cost for me to have you guys fix this. I live up in Belding, so driving in town would put a dent in my weekly gas alotment. An estimate in your Profesional Opinion ould be appreciated........
  10. no lead

first the name. there is no allied trucking. it was formerly called allied truck equipment. the economy led to the demise of that company. a few like minded people, myself included, were able to form arista truck systems and access the western line and a few select other lines of snow and ice control. we have the same phone # and address, but a new company.

repairing your frame may not be as costly as you think. i need to actually look at it to put a price on repair. depending on your mount, frame, fasteners etc. its hard to quote labor from some pictures. call me monday morning and ask for kip, i will be able to help you better if we talk 1 to 1.

hope i can help.
  11. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Allright Gentlemen.....

I appreciate all the input and willingness to help out a Newb...

I recieved some great suggestions on here and a few of you contacted me off forum with offer's to help me with this mount/frame issue.... I would like to thank No lead and Crash especially for the communication, input and willingness to help me out!

After obtaining a few "quotes" from a some guys here, I also managed to find a couple body shop's right here in town. I stopped by there and finally ended up with a couple great guys just outside of my resident town that got the job done for me......

With a couple hammers, prybars and a 1 ton airpowered jack - they managed to straighten out the frame and get the 1st part of my mount installed. The part of the frame that was in question won't necessarily win any "repair awards" for presentation but the mount is SOLID as hell. I believe that once I get the other part on there and locked down to another point of contact that its gonna perform just as it should....

The kicker: These guys spent an hour working on my truck and actually installed the top part of the mount on my truck for me. He stuck to the quote he gave me yesterday when I stopped in there.....$25.00

I gave him a $50 and told him that we were even (which surprised the hell out of him). So after BSing to him for another 20 minutes he told me if I needed anything else to stop back in anytime. So I think I found my "local guy" that will be willing to help me out when needed, a friend with a wrench so to speak...

So on to the rest of the job. Getting the bottom part mounted up so I can get his plow wired and operational. I will be back in shortly with all sorts of stupids questions (assuming search yields no answers)...LOL

Thanks again fellow plowers!
  12. no lead

glad i could help. never hurts to look around 4 the local guys.
  13. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

The Drama Continued Yesterday after I updated you all....

I went out to put the bottom part of my mount on and to sum it up shortly - It was all jacked up and set way to low to the ground. The back would not meet up with the frame, I mean not even close - it was like 5 inches too low.....

So after a night of pissing and moaning while I was at work - my buddy Chris came over in the AM. We sat around looking at this mount, trying different options and trouble shooting the situation....

Well like 2 hours later - we were BSing about something completely unrelated and I glanced down at the mount on the ground and it hit me like a brick! I had the top part of the mount upside down! I grabbed the mount, slid under the truck and lifted it in to place but flipped it over and walla - the mount now set about 6 inches higher then the other way.....

I have absolutley no idea why I didn't see it before (or why anyone from here didn't notice this newb having the mount upside down :D) Anyway - we got it installed right and bolted the bottom half on and it fits like a charm.....

How I had it:

How it's suppose to be:

And the "I Finally have it done" pic!

So - now I all I need to do yet is to drill the holes for the back of the mount where it angles into the frame. Should have marked these holes , then drilled them and THEN installed the mount. But we installed it and then realized I can't get my drill in there. I am going to try a longer bit first before takig the mount back off.....

Anyways - just thought I would put this out there for a learning opportunity for any newb that follows thru here... (I searched for picture after picture for hints on this but never found one that would clue me in on the actual installation of this old style mount...)

So now I only need to install the wiring harness. Gonna do that on wednesday. Hopefully this thing will be 100% operational on wednesday. I have a harness already but it's been cut and spliced like 20 times too many. So I am picking up a new harness from Arista to avoid hours of trouble shooting and chasing power issues. I will be back in to update later next week.

Hope this helps someone else. Again - thanks for all the help here guys. Much appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  14. Crash935

Tell me that you still have to install the "L" brakets that go from the bumper bolts to under the tow hook bolts.
  15. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Wish I could say that.....

Don't have them and have not seen them......

What is the purpose of said brackets. It can't possibly be that huge in as far as structural intergrity can it? I mean - it's not as if the bumper is offering anything in the line of support for the bracket is it? This thing is rock damn solid .......

Tell me the in's and out's of these brackets.

I never thought about them - cause when I bought this plow I was told that it came with everything I needed to mount this to my truck. So when I got the plow and all the **** that came with it - I assumed I had everything....

School me on this ****............
  16. Crash935

All right, but dont take it the wrong way!!!

Glad you got the frame straight for a great price, but, they were body guys and were plow guys.

Yes, the missing brackets offer support and structural integrity. If you look at the mount, all of your weight is being held up by 2 bolts on each side into a flat piece that isnt even as wide as the frame. Without additional support, you will end up tearing out the bottom of your frame and even with the missing brakets in place this mount was still notorious for tearing frames. No lead and i talked about you situation and both came up with the same answer which is incorporated into this mounts predesser. Weld a piece of steel on top of the tabs of the mount on the inside of the frame and sleeve it with a pice of angle that is bolted from the side and from the holes in the bottom (through the tow hook holes). Remember that the bolts through the tow hook holes carry all of the load of the plow, the portion where it bolts to the cross member carries the thrust load while plowing.

Your mount

its predesser, notice parts 8 & 10

Theres you ins and outs!
  17. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

First and foremost - I would never take it the wrong way. I am a self proclaimed newb at this and here for one reason and one reason only....

I also want to go on record to make sure that you guys understand that I had no intentions of discussing this with you guys and making you go thru the leg work of quotes and such - just to turn around and use someone else. My last choice is always to let someone else do the work. If I have the ability to do the work myself and learn along the way, thats what I prefer to do.....

I was not trying to rub the "local guy price" into anyones face or say that anybody was over priced. I apoligize if it appeared that way. I was able to get the frame fixed and then do the rest of the work myself and learned alot along the way....

Allright - Thanks for the information regarding this mount and its downfalls. These are the things I have been looking around for. Hell - for some reason I could not find the damn schematic of my mount. I looked all over for it the last two days. I must have simply over looked it somehow....

I will take the advice and look into strengthing my mount as described. Trusted me when I understand the difference between body guys and plow guys. I understand that thru plowing the in's and out's of what works and what doesn't are learned extremely fast and more often then not on the fly....

I was simply happy to get my frame "fixed" so that I could get the mount installed on my truck. Now I can look into getting the extras to make sure this thing is GTG come season....

Allright - thanks guys. I will back after figuring the rest of this out!

Best Regards,

18. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

I have the mount installed. I am going to be welding the top part of the mount to the frame. As you all know by now - this area was somewhat disconfigured and twisted, so I had a shop bend it into submission and bolt the mount in for me. So I figure it's not a bad idea to go ahead and weld it all the way around the mounting surface to help add strength.....

Question is this. Tell me why I should not go ahead and weld the bottom part of the mount to the frame where it connects in the back with the four bolts? I have thought about this and I have come up with this....

1. Would add strength to the mount.

1. Can't take mount off during off season.
    - Not that I see me taking it off but perhaps I might want to for a road trip.

2. Mount goes with truck if truck is sold and would need new mount for next truck
    - Not a big deal to me. As if I sell this truck I doubt I would get the same year anyways.

3. Accessability for repair issues on truck
    - This seems like the biggest one. Would it hinder the mechanic in being able to
    replace engine components?

Fact is once a plow truck - always a plow truck in my book. I will prolly keep this truck until it dies for good. I may buy another truck down the road but will keep this as long as it keeps plowing. I just don't want to do something that will cause me issues in the future....

I think I know the answer to this but I am wondering what the experts have to say? What say you?

Weld the top?
    Weld it all?
    Don't weld anything?

The other question is this. If I am planning on welding the top part of the mount to the frame, do I still need to worry about putting the other "L" brackets on?
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  19. no lead

i would install the rest of the mount from western. ie L brackets. i might tack weld the mount here or there but i would not weld the mount top and bottom. chevy frames are weak to begin with. look at yours.

welding will weaken the metal to the point of breakage +10. just my opinion, anyone,anyone?
  20. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

I'll let the image do the talking..... :redbounce

Thanks for all the help thus far gents. I also could not have gotten this thing running had it not been for my good freind Chris and his expertise with hooking up harness's and plow's in general.....

I look forward to pushing snow this winter and learning all the in's and out's from you guys on here.....

I'll keep in touch - you can be sure of that!
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009