1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western motor ooops

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by glenspot, Nov 29, 2004.

1. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

On the western motor there are 4 torx-head screws that go into the sides of the motor.

Don't ask me how but 2 of the 4 torx screws were taken out. (It has to do with an over-anxious teenager and a new set of torx wrenches.)...anyway

I can't seem to get them re-installed. The holes are not threaded, and inside the holes there seems to be just a smooth piece of metal.

An over anxious dad (me) tried to operate the plow with the screws out and burned up the solenoid (sp?). (Maybe one doesn't have anything to do with the other, I don't know)

Do I need to open the top of the motor and turn something?

Next snowfall is Thursday....

Thanks, in advance for your help.

Glen

BTW, we got 15 - 20" of snow over the last 3 days. It turned into 3 plow able events...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Those screws likely held the field cores in place in the case and when you powered it up it would have pulled them into the armature a looked the motor up and drawn very high current which could have toast solenoid as well. Motot might be okay but you will have to pull it and dismantle it to get the fieild coils lined up to get the bolts back it.