1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Model 500 Salter

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JeepPlow18, Dec 8, 2007.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I am just wondering how much would I Western Model 500 Salter cost me? I do have commercial lots to do but they are mostly small and im just looking for a cheaper one without sacrificing the quality or how it performs. Also what about this buyers one here is the link, the ones for $449, $649, and $899. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_224764 Thanks in advance Mike
  2. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Any input would be great. Thanks Mike
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

if i get a sub-division bid i just put in i will be buying the big one TGS05B that holds 800lbs. but i have a dealer near buy that sells them for $799 insted of $999 from northern.

i definately like the idea of the rear mounted low profile spreader over a V-box even though bulk salt is alot cheaper. i need my bed for to much stuff to sacrifice it.

probably not much help but thats all the input i can give...good luck on your purchase
  4. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thanks, anyone else had good experience with them?
  5. gorman

gorman Junior Member

western 500

the 500 is too small, i have one. you have to fill it too often. on full speed it empties in about five minutes. it sucks to have fill it soo many times
  6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

One guy PM ed me said 500 is good for a few small lots. Any other inputs? Thanks Mike
  7. matt-max

matt-max Member

we run a 500 on the back of a 2-door tahoe and its a good match for residential and smaller commercial properties. having a liftgate and covered storage area is key when you have to refill often instead of messing with a tarp or other container to keep your icemelt dry. unit works well and does not jam much.

we run a 1000 on the back of a 2500hd and it works great too, it's just much heavier and bulkier to handle, especially when full (obviously). we have a vibrator on it and it helps a lot. when it jams, it is a real pain because of the depth and amount of material it holds.

it works best in wet conditions to only load as much as you need in either spreader for the job at hand. leaving material in the hopper for even a couple hours while driving and plowing often leads to jams. given that, the 500 works great for smaller jobs.

8. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thanks matt for your input that was very helpful. I think that I will be getting the 500.
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

If you look into the ProFlow 2, you can do both. You get your salt in bulk loaded in the back, and fill by a large scoop shovel. This is sort of the best of both worlds.
  10. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I was looking at the pro flow 2 but its very bulky and I do not go through that much salt per event. I use about 15, 50lb bags per application( this includes walkways to). I wanted the pro flow 2 really bad but then I thought i would not go through that much salt and it is very expensive so ill just go with the 500 model. Some guys that use it say its good for 5 small lots, which is what I have right now.