1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Midweight Steel vs. Poly plow?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ShaunDeereMN, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ShaunDeereMN

ShaunDeereMN Junior Member

:waving: Hello to everyone from Northern MN. This is my first post. I will be buying a new Western Midweight plow for my 98 Dodge 4x4. I will be using this for my personal use. I have a 500' long gravel driveway and a 4 car parking area that I need to plow. I am wondering which blade would be better for me? (Steel or Poly)? I do not have a garage to store the plow in, so it would have to be tarped in the off season. The steel plow is $4,054 installed and the poly is another $170. Not much difference in price. Just don't know which one to get. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Shaun

2. ght1098

ght1098 Member

Plowed with steel for 12 years. Last year I pushed with a poly blade and I won't go back to steel.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well for gravel the poly is better. Because the gravel will sand the paint right off. So you would have to repaint your plow ever year. The poly will just stratch. Only problem is poly plows can twist because the poly doesn't add structual support.

4. ronj

ronj Junior Member
    from mn

love my poly-plow

I have had mine since ' 97 , still looks like new, I have a 100 yard gravel driveway. I do store it inside though. I would definately buy another.........:nod: