1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Midweight Backdrag Or Not?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by doublewide6, Jan 30, 2015.

1. doublewide6

doublewide6 Junior Member

Hi guys, I have been reading through many posts on this forum and am on the fence about backdrags. I only plow driveways and I do backdragging for most. My plow only weighs 500#'s so there is not a whole lot of pressure when I backdrag. It clears the snow, but it is not black like blacktop. I'm wondering two things: does the western factory back drag edge work well? and would I be better off just backdragging then plowing the snow remains forward then backdragging them out again? I'm new to plowing, so do most guys backdrag then plow forward then backdrag again? Thanks for any help.
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I feel your pain. There are a few options for back drag edges. The one I would steer away from is the on that mounts using the same holes as the cutting edge. It's basically a piece on angle iron. I hear they bend Perth easy and have seen a few all bent up. I would recumbent a hinge type back drag blade. Most of the time they are custom jobs so check with your dealer and see if they know of anybody in your area that makes them. Maybe there's a manufacturer but I've never heard of one.
    When back dragging you can make multiple passes but once you drive on it the snow packs under the tires and it gets even harder to make a clean scrape.
  3. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I have them on all of my 7.5 midweights. I also changed the cutting edges to 1/2" The pro plus is the same mounting holes as the midweight so that is the backdrag edge and cutting edge I put on them. They work well as long as the snow hasnt been run over in the driveways. I corner ls get smashed up but the rest is fine
  4. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have the hts which is lighter yet. I usually back drag twice plow forward and back drag again. Seems to work fine as I get little to no complaints.
  5. doublewide6

Here are my concerns:
    1) the backdrag causing the front blade not to work as well.
    2) Having to buy a new front blade to match the height of the back blade.
    3) Buying the backdrag and not seeing a noticeable difference.
    4) I like the hinged backdrag (seems to be proven to work), but where can I get it from?
    5) I can weld, maybe I will weld one up (a hinged one), but I need to find a source for the steel.
  6. doublewide6

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess the pro backdrag is slightly thicker or heavier. It seems like the option that I would go for. I have been thinking about this for a few weeks and I think my plow does a good job, it just doesn't scrape down to black when back dragging. I don't think my customers really care. It is just me being picky. The weather has been so cold all season that the snow does not melt at all after a snowstorm. If I knew for sure that the western backdrag would not impact forward plowing and scrape down to blacktop for sure I would put one on it is under $200. Anyone else using this type of backdrag want to chime in. Thanks
  7. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

I have one (2 separate pieces) on my MVP3 and have since day one... I would put it on again even after being told its a waste. I like how it scrapes and doesn't float over the packed snow by the garage door. For $200 it would be a no brain-er. Yes you have to get a new cutting edge too or you will be riding on the back edge until it is worn down. So wait for that day to come. Your edges will last longer but you have to buy two now, one front one back...:waving: