1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western/Meyer/Diamond Snowplow Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cigam, Jul 6, 2004.

1. cigam

cigam Guest

I haven't paid much attention to Western lately until I decided to go to their website and I noticed, the plow frame is completely different now. It used to be in a similar style to Meyer's style, but not now.

Is the Western plow still the same, is it just the frame that's different? It still has the trip spring I noticed.

I've noticed Diamond has the Meyer style now (as they are together now).

I like Diamond snowplows. Does anyone here use them?

Also, I know that Meyer & Western are light weight plows, and have a trip spring system instead of a trip edge.

What would go best on a 1/2 ton? On my 3/4 ton it's a Fisher but Fisher seems pretty heavy for a 1/2 ton.

Sincerely,
    Cigam

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Western and Fisher snowplows have alomst the exact same weight range. Western is not a strictly light weight plow manufacturer and neither is fisher. Westerns run the gamut from 3 hundred something lbs (sport utility plow) to 11 hundred something lbs (10' municipal series). Fisher makes plenty of lightweight plows the homesteader, the Ld 6'9" which is 490 lbs and the ld 7'6" which is 510 lbs. Both Lds can go on 1/2 tons and i have even seen RD 7'6" (630 lbs) on 1/2 tons. My plow weighs 650 lbs and its on an F-150 with no problems. If you put a fisher on a 1/2 ton id make it the ld 7'6". Western either the lsx which is only available with the unimount or most likely the standard which comes in sizes 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 . Out of those four sizes you would probley only want the 7'6" for a 1/2 ton. So that leaves you with western std 7'5" and fisher LD 7'6". The western weighs 614 Lbs and the fisher 510 Lbs, so if your looking for a nice plow thats long enough for your truck and won't stress the truck too much its the fisher LD 7'6". What kind of 1/2 ton do you have then people can be more specific in recommending plows. What kind of 3/4 ton do you have and what kind of fisher is on it (size weight, mount).

Western has come out with 2 new mounts since the demise of the conventional meyer like mount around 1989 or 90. The unimount which looked somewhat like the conventional mount but everything comes off the truck except an undercarriage mount that hangs way too low. The ultra mount is thier newest mount and is like fishers in the way the upper headgear and lift cylander are designed. Western has a trip edge on thier MVP plow which is their v plow. Thier is no such thing as a "trip spring system" both full moldboard trip (meyer and most western) and trip edge (fisher and diamond) have springs other wise what ever tripped would not return to ist normal position.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've used a 7.5' Fisher RD plow on my 1/2 '90 Dodge for four winters. I'm retiring the Dodge this summer and using it for a backup, but only because the wheelwells rusted out and won't pass inspection.

Just pay attn to your GAWR Front (from your vehicle data plate). Find out what it is without the plow and you'll be able to figure out how heavy of plow you can get.

I'd guess you have an 8' Fisher on that 3/4 ton. It's likely too much for most 1/2 tons.

Or - you could just ask your local dealer for any brand of plow you're considering. They won't put on a plow that's too heavy for your truck.

4. cigam

cigam Guest

It's an 8 ft plow on my truck, it might even be a 7'6". Fisher, yes. It's the 1986 Chevy.

And the other truck is a 1/2 ton Chevy C10 (year is 1984).

Also, I'm planning on buying a one-ton, and what do you guys recommend?

Do you think the Everest would be good with it? It'll be a used 1-ton, either a Ford or Chevy. I'm looking at the Everest one-way plow yet is reversible. Simply because I plan on plowing developments and state roads. I'll only be using the 1-ton for the road plowing.

The Chevy 3/4 ton does the driveways.

And the Chevy 1/2 ton will be a spare plow truck, but I drive it mostly. Cheaper on gas.

5. cigam

cigam Guest

Here's the 3/4 ton Chevy..... bought by my Dad. I'm going to be using it for plowing. He's not much of the plowing type.

Plus I've got another truck and a 1-ton will be bought soon.

webpagemyplowtruck.jpg

6. cigam

cigam Guest

Fisher Snowplow

Here's the Fisher Plow for it..... Is it a 7'6" or an 8? I think it's 7'6"

webpagemyplowtruckplowpic.jpg

7. Mick

from Maine

No, Everest would not be a good snowplow for a one ton. The smallest plow they make is too heavy and designed for a 1 1/4 ton. Everest is a very tough plow, usually used for heavy, municipal work - like State highways. As for buying a one ton, I'd say make is not as important as getting the truck to match what you intend to do with it. For me, I got a diesel flatbed because I bought it to put a two-yard sander on. Just make sure it's 4wd. I'd also recommend chains for that C-10 (C=2wd).

I'm not sure what you mean by "...it might even be a 7'6". Fisher". That would be too small a moldboard for a 3/4 ton.

8. Mick

from Maine

Re: Fisher Snowplow

Can't really tell by looking at a picture of the front. If you label on the back is gone, why don't you just measure the width of the blade?

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the new westerns are really nice the pro and the pro plus are really great for comm i have one

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Re: Fisher Snowplow

Get a tape measure:rolleyes:

11. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Buy the Western Pro Plow 8' with the ultra mount system- Best set.

12. m&m owner

m&m owner Member
    from MN

What do you guys think of hiniker snow plows ? They are fairly common in MN because they are built here. any comments?

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I dont like the look of the hiniker but i would have to see it in person they have some cool options

14. Mick

from Maine

I've seen the Hiniker C-plow, but it was about four years ago. My opinion was that it was too many additional moving parts, just to have a backdrag blade. I think if I really cared that much about backdragging ability and efficiency, I'd rather have a back blade. Then I'd be more efficient because I wouldn't need to turn around, which with a Hiniker C-plow you still need to do.