1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Low Pro Model 1000 Issues

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Chipmunk, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Chipmunk

Chipmunk Member

I think its a model 1000. It at least looks like it. I don't have it hear, so I can't check it just yet.
    But the issue is, we have bulk salt, a little bit of rock with Calcium Chloride mixed in it.
    The problem is, that it either burrows a hole cause the salt sticks together or the spinner shaft gets stuck. Or something stops it from spinning and pops the fuse.

Sometimes chunks get stuck on the little auger in the hole, so I was thinking about adding some sort of screen to stop the big chunks from getting down there and just pick them out every now and then. The motor just isn't powerful enough to chew them up.

As for the burrowing of the hole, the only thing I can think of to stop that is put a vibrator on the thing.

For now, what we do is have someone in the back throwing a spade shovel full in as someone drives along salting. However, I think it looks very unprofessional and would like to just load the thing and go.

What do you guys think?

We have a 1 ton dump with a under-tailgate spreader, but that truck is currently down.

Thanks.

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I had that problem too when I had my 1000. You will have to find a smaller size rock salt to spread. That motor and auger will not grind through larger "rocks"

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

that unit is NOT for bulk, use bagged until your 1 ton is fixed. the vib will help with the bridging but if you leave it on and transport your going to pack it in. a screen will help and they do make one for it. btw, you will lose salt while transporting, its just not designed for that.

4. Chipmunk

Chipmunk Member

Thanks guys, I kinda figured that.

I think what we'll do is what we did in the past. Just have someone in the back throwing in a shovel full as we go. It worked well, but got tiresome, lol. I was the guinea pig in the back shoveling, lol.
    This way, we won't have to buy the bags. Can't really buy much until some checks come in from the last storm. With this spreader, I never transport with salt in it, so thats not an issue. I try not to do that with any spreader so I don't forget about it and it freezing up.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. :)