1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western lift unit problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by packey, Nov 19, 2007.

1. packey

packey Member

I have already listed this in the Western forum but I really need this pump unit working so here is the problem. electric pump will not lift. even with no load. I noticed fluid was low so I filled it. still will not lift plow more than 1/2 of an inch. This is a Western Mark 3 lift unit with cable control. If anyone can help please get in touch with me.
    Oh the electrick motor sounds as if it is still working fine.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

needy plow

check to see if the pump screen is plugged up or collapsed ,if you haven't already , check the pump pressure it need's to be between 1450 lb -1850 lb put a pressure Gage in line with the quick coupler on the right turn cylinder if this is a power angling plow otherwise i believe there is a Allen set screw in the lift cable cavity that you can pull out and use a 1/8 pipe extension on the Gage to check the pressure. check western's site at the top of the page get the more extensive mechanics guide

3. packey

packey Member

thanks for the help. I tore down the unit gave it a thorugh cleaning. the bottom where the filter screen is was a thich gunk. I cleaned everything I could and put it all back together with fresh fluid. everything is working awesome now.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pesky pump

glad to see that's all it was !:)