1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Lift Ram Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Elite Property Services, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I am refurbishing my 8' Unimount pro plow and noticed when I push the ram down by hand which isnt easy takes all 280lbs. of me to lower, does the packing nut need to be loosened?:dizzy:

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

If you do that it will blow out the o-ring inside and you will have a leak. That just happened to me and It just got fixed. The packing nut backed it self out and I blew the seal.

3. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I am just curious I remember a couple times last year the plow wouldnt lower and eventually lowered fine just thought it could be related:dizzy:

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Chances are that they are not related. Other problem was probably loose connection at the grill connector (ice hanging off the wires tend to cause that problem after a long night of plowing), maybe a sticky valve or weak coil. Make sure the grill connectors are clean and tight and if you want to, pull the down valve and check for debris and check the ohms on the coil.