1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Lift Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mr B, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mr B

Mr B Junior Member

Plow wants to lift, motor runs, angles right and left ok. When I try to lift it, the motor races as if it was bypassing. If I click the toggle up it seems to jump up a bit. All of the coils seem to have the same resistance in them. Appreciate any assisstance you may be able to offer

2. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Check the S-3 solenoid (four-way valve). If it is not getting any power when you press the lift, then the controller is probably bad.
    Since it angles left, the solenoid itself, and the wiring to it is probably good.
    My guess is it is not getting activated, so the pump just bogs for a second, and then opens the relief valve and that's why it spins freely.

3. Mr B

Mr B Junior Member

Thanks, since then I made sure that the ground to the coils are good, also power from the toggle to the up and down coil is good. I then switched one of the angle coils with the up and down coil. Still angles ok but still doesn't want to lift

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

This is a unimount relay?

That sounds like you have air in the system.

Did you check the fluid level?

Did you check the suction screen to see if it is clog?

Did you check to see if you have moisture in the fluid?

Did you at anytime flush the system out and drain the rams?

did you check the grill plug to make sure it is clean and grease?

As for the "S" valves;

3way (S2)= left n right
    4way (S3)= left n raise

So I would say there nothing wrong with the S3 valve because you do have left angle, If it would make you feel better, I would pull the s3 valve and check it to see if it spooling fully. Just remove the valve, put the coil back on to the valve. Using 12v, add a wire to one on the prong and to the positive side of the battery. Wire to the second prong on the coil to ground. When you touch ground, the shaft inside the valve should move freely in and out. If so , nothing wrong with the valve

Here is the test
    probe here.jpg

I would flush the system out completely

maintenance flush.jpg .
    maintenance flushB.jpg

probe here.jpg

maintenance flush.jpg

maintenance flushB.jpg

5. Mr B

Mr B Junior Member

Hi twinman326, Thank-you very much for your expert advice. Changed fluid, found a small amount of ice in bottom of reservoir, cleaned suction filter, drained cylinders. Slight contamination in bottom of reservoir. Unit is now functioning quite well. Thanks again