1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Lift Cylinder

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowpusher04, Feb 14, 2007.

1. snowpusher04

snowpusher04 Junior Member
    from midwest

I recently noticed a small bit of seepage/leaking at the top of the main lift cylinder on my 01 Pro - Ultramount. Is this something to get alarmed about or is this normal wear? I would guess it's only losing a tablespoon full overnight, maybe less.
    What is the fix? Take it to shop and have them replace the seal or something I can do?

2. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

You need to lift it all the way up & check the ram for damage/burrs. If you have a scratch you can feel, sand it lightly with some sandpaper ~400 grit or higher. The scratch will cause your seal to fail and leak; dirt will do the same thing too.
    You’ll most likely have to replace the seal to stop it from leaking. If you fix what is causing the leak, and you can live with the oil that is oozing, you’ll be fine IMO. Just don’t let it run low.

3. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

First check that bushing collar is tight, even with a bad seal if you snug her down and carry extra fluid you will be able to get by till proper repair can be made.

Replacing the seal should be something you can do, with proper tools and parts. If the ram shaft is bent or badly damaged it might be best to have service center repair or replace.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007