1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western leaks fluid from Motor cover!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bxwildshot, Dec 6, 2002.

1. bxwildshot

bxwildshot Junior Member

Recently had to replace my motor on the hyraulic unit now It leaks fluid from th motor cover above the gasket Its got me a little confused . And to boot I tried to use it yesterday for the first time and the damn thing wouldn't go up all the way and it was straining my alternator. Any suggestions anyone?Thanks

Eric L.

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

What Type Of Unit?

Eric: What type of power unit are you working on? John

3. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Pump Shaft Seal

Must be the shaft seal.

4. bxwildshot

bxwildshot Junior Member

its a western cable operated unit

its a western cable operated unit and I just changed the shaft seal.

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Oil Leakage

Eric; if you have already changed the seal are you over filling the unit? The fluid level shouldn't really be as high as the base plate on the motor. John

6. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

When the seal is installed correctly,the "lip"of the seal faces out. You can also see the spring that sits in the seal that keeps the seal snug against the shaft. When fluid pressure from the reservoir is forced against the seal, the pressure actually forces the seal tighter against the shaft.(the same way a rear main crankshaft seal is used in your engine) Goodluck, PT.:waving: