1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western joystick question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 94Chevy, Jan 4, 2008.

1. 94Chevy

94Chevy Junior Member

Hey there, I am new to plowing and when i was given a plow system I didnt know where to begin. I had to wire the whole thing up without any knowledge of the wiring setup or how it even worked. I just got the plow hooked up and going but the only thing that concerns me is that i do not have to turn the key on to activate the pump. I can have the keys out and still move the pump. What I wanted to know is this normal? If it would normally operate only when power is applied how can i correct this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it an old cable operated pump or a solenoid operated (electric joystick)?

3. 94Chevy

94Chevy Junior Member

its not electric it has a shifter with 2 cables on it and one wire so I assume its cable operated. I bet I sound stupid but like i said before I am clueless to all of this.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok if it's the old cable style pump then it's going to work all the time, key on or not.. since it triggers the under hood pump solenoid by suppling ground to it from the controller, not 12V like a full electric set up. So the key being on or off won't make a difference.

5. 94Chevy

94Chevy Junior Member

ok good, that makes me feel better. I was worried that since it was receving power all the time like that i was going to lose battery power thinking that it was a direct feed. Thank you very much for the help! Any good tips I should know before I start plowing? tips from plowing, knowing things with the plow system ect.?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do some browsing around here, you'll find more info than you'll care to read! :D

For your set up specifically, use the words "cable" or "cable pump" for your search keywords....lots of good info here on them.

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you're really concerned about it you could wire up a relay so it's only got a ground when the truck is on.

8. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

You can wire up the relay so that power to the switch side (small wires) is from a key on source. If I recall correctly Western wired it with a jumper right from the battery cable lead. Of course I changed all that...
    Maybe it's been covered elsewhere but I added a ground wire from the inside of my control to a good ground on the truck. Western's wiring used the control cables and then the plow pump as a ground for the relay switch. I did this to mine before I even used it to plow with so I might be barking up the wrong tree, but it seemed like a good spot for a little rust to cause problems.