1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western joystick probs??????? from plow motor burning out??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tojay22, Jan 22, 2009.

1. tojay22

tojay22 Member

i sold a almost new western joystick to a guy and 2 months later it stopped working. he had problems with his plow motor being stuck running and burned up his plow motor. could that have fried his joystick? it stopped working after his plow crapped out and he wants me to replace it for free. should i replace it even i know it was working perfect 2 months ago when he bought it? i really never hear of the joysticks crapping out. i have had lots of them and never had any problems. it was a close to new joystick before i sold it to him. i just think its weird his plow motor went out and the joystick went at the same time?!? anyone have any feedback for me? thanks

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

::salute::salute::salute:tymusicNOOOOOO!!!!!!! Its a used plow, yoor responsibility stopped the minute it left the yard. Buyer Beware. I do commend you for letting it worry you though

3. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Check the ground connection. Why did the motor burn out? Where was it grounded to? Two problems with the controller usually are ground (orange wire on older style) or little circuit board inside controller which can be fried by a bad ground amongst other things.

4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

If he has an older wiring harness, you have to modify the wiring to work correctly with a handheld controller, or it will be looking for a ground. The easiest way is to see if there is an orange w/black wire coming off the solenoid going to negative on the battery. If it does'nt have that wire, you're gonna fry a circuit board, if it even works correctly at all.

5. tojay22

tojay22 Member

he has a new ultra pro plus so its somewhat new. im guessing he had a bad ground so it burned his motor and his joystick out. i know the controller was mint when i sent it and he used it for 2 months as well.