1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Joystick location in a Superduty...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moosehunter, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Howdy All...

New guy to these parts and didn't find anything using the search function...

I need some ideas as to where/how to mount my joystick without hacking up my Ford. I would like to place it on the left side but I'm as yet undecided. It feels correct on either side... (Switch hitter on the softball team...)

The Dodge was easy. The ford is driving me nuts... :dizzy:

How about a couple ideas? Pics would be nice..

2. szorno

szorno Senior Member

All of our trucks use a joy-stick on the left side. We are trying something new on my son's '94 Dodge that might work well on your Ford. Put it on the left side, but on the top of the dash, almost against the A pillar. Our theory is that he shifts with the right hand and can control the plow with the left. It is just out of finger tip reach when he holds the steering wheel at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. My trucks are automatics and we like the left joy stick just out of knee damage range.:nod:
    Anyway, food for thought but purely personal choice... Have fun:redbounce
  3. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Hi szorno....

That sound just like the way my own Dodge is set up. Works well!!! But the Ford is a bit different. With my seat adjusted properly, for me to reach the dash is a mighty long way. I was thinking of something like a door panel mount. Maybe something that is held on by the arm rest or something. Problem there is all the dang window and lock buttons...

Thanks for the info....

Still at the drawing board....
  4. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

i know many of our customers that use the L-bracket and bend it to follow the contour of the dash. they remove the access panel under the steering wheel and bolt the bracket to the support structure of the dash. then sandwich the bracket between the dash and the access panel. when finished the control is just behind/lower than turn signal lever. I know its hard to picture but if you go and look it might make sense.
  5. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I know this isn't what you were asking about, but have you considered a Cab Command control?

I would never switch back from the Cab Command. You can have it in your hand the entire time while:

-backing up

And you don't have to take your eyes off the road to see what your reaching for...

Just an option / thought for you... :salute:
  6. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I have a cab command, too. I haven't plowed with it yet, but it seems good so far. It comes with a little black "v" bracket... almost a holster. Like I said, it's black, so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb on the dash, either. I just need to paint the srews to make them disappear, too.

I mounted mine just to the right of my 4X4 selector switch. It's VERY useable while in the holster, but also easy to put in or take out for handheld use. When in the holster, it can be easily operated with your hand on the shifter while in "D".

I also balked at drilling holes in my 10,000 mile, $40,000 truck, but hey- it's a plow truck, and it'll be a plow truck as long as I have it, so let's go!!

Lost my memory stick for my camera:realmad: but when I find it I'll post.
  7. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

Look under thread "plow control in door" it is a meyers switch mounted in door panel.
  8. Radguy

Radguy Member

Is this the same as a fish stick?
  9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

fish stick, cab command, same thing...
  10. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I got one of the magnetic based telescoping mounts. I have it attached to my home made floor console. It comes up to the fold down center console very easy to operate. I had the fish stick and didn't care for it as much as this set up.

EXPGMEDIC Junior Member
    from INDIANA

joystick on sd

hey moose i have a 02 superduty mine is mounted to the right with the bracket mounted inside the little compartment on the dash. for me i can rest my arm on the arm rest and control the plow at the same time. good luck