1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Joystick Issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Beercan, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Beercan

Beercan Junior Member

alright just got my plow hooked up after the summer and when i go right i have to feather the stick just right to get the plow to go right. is there any contacts in the box that could cause this or does the cable need to be adjusted?
  2. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

This is a cable actuated plow?

Sounds like cables need adjusting, but when you dont feather it, does the pump still run, or does everything just stop?
  3. Beercan

Beercan Junior Member

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There should be one or more switches in the joystick that send a signal to the motor relay for angle and up. They should not need to be feathered though. There may be an adjustment to determine when they turn on but thats all. After they activate you should be able to push right to the end of travel and they should stay on. Sounds to me like the switch itself is failing. Perhaps you could open up the joystick and clean the switch contacts with contact cleaner spray.
  5. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Sounds like your losing contact inside the joystick box. Make sure everything in the box has been coated with a little dielectric grease, and make sure the contacts are touching when operating. When you move the joystick, it makes a connection, which throws the relay, and operates the pump. The cables just direct the flow inside the pump.

If the pump shuts off when moving the joystick (other than down) then your losing contact inside the joystick box. No pump, means no movement. The box is easy to disassemble, but remove the power to the relay under the hood, or disconnect the relay signal wire so your not making connections as you tear it apart. There is a spring inside that keeps tension on the whole assembly.

EDIT: were basically saying the same thing, he just typed a little faster :laughing:

However, there are no switches, just brass? contacts inside the box.