1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western joystick failures

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MrGreenjeans, Jan 11, 2002.

1. MrGreenjeans

MrGreenjeans Junior Member

I have 3 Western unimount plows. While getting them ready for the winter weather, I discovered that they each had a problem. I was able to clean and resurrect 1 of them but the other 2 continued to have problems. I ended up buying a new PC board for the controller at a cost of over $100. The third control is for a spare truck I hope I will not need to use.

I was curious if anyone else has had problems with these controls? If this is not just a problem isolated to me, I might check into repairing these controls at a fraction of the cost of a new one. I know the whole control in a catalog sells for $179.

BTW, I think Fisher also uses the same control.

Any information would be appreciated.
  2. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

MRGREENJEANS, Welcome to the site, its awesome !!

As far as your controller, are u using electronic joystick or the hand held style?

If its the electronic joystick the #1 problem we see are the
    micro-switches fail. Western does not offer replacements, just the pc board. We are testing some micro-switches as we speak, we need to slightly modify them but if it works it will be well worth it in my opinion. Good luck , PT.
  3. CCLC

CCLC Member

I have never had a problem with any of my joysticks...until this past week. One truck the plow wouldn't go down and another truck just wouldn't work. I got them taken care of but may buy an extra for a spare for all the trucks.
  4. diginahole

diginahole Member

I had a joystick controller fail this year, but I just washed the coffee out of the micro switches and it is working great now. io used some spray type electrical contact cleaner.
  5. MrGreenjeans

cleaning the switches

I was able to clean the switches last year to get the controllers to work. This year they were just too far gone. I actually pulled one of the switches off the board and opened the case to see that the contacts inside were pretty well fried.

I do know that if you be sure that clear cover stays on at the base of the stick it will keep things like coffee and salt out of the controls. My Western dealer has some on order for me. I prefer to clean the switches with brake parts cleaner. It dries without leaving any oily residue to attract dirt in the future.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2002
  6. MrGreenjeans

replacement switches

plowtech wes:
    I am also looking into the replacement switches. I have some OEM replacements to use for now. I also got some sealed switches to try. However, the electronics guy I showed my problem to thinks that we need to upgrade to a heavier contact. He thinks that the solenoids pull more than the 5 amps that the switches are rated at. You can get the same series switch in a 10 amp rating.

let me know what your thoughts are on this. what switches were you using? i tried some from Radio Shack but they were not similar enough. They did not fit right and required too much modification.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2002